Christmas Music

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Christmas Music

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know this is still pretty early on in the holiday season but I do really love some of the traditional Christmas songs. I'm heading Dec 9th up to Seattle for the evening first to go to Ivars (which is a superb seafood restaurant) then over to St. Marks Cathedral for a Christmas Concert. I find nothing gets me more in the mood of the season then Christmas songs.

Yupiq Eskimo Village of

Quinhagak, Alaska , was a school computer

project intended for the other Yupiq villages

in the area. Much to the villagers' shock,

over a half million people have viewed it.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That was fabulous :) I watched it first of all then called Mrs H in for a look and she loved it, those kids should be proud of what they have achieved and a fantastic choice of music. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've worked in villages very similar. Typically the kids are really quiet and shy. This was a totally terrific video they made. They're right to be proud of what they've made. Was neat (and let me tell you was probably SUPER COLD when and where they made it too)! Am suprised they had enough daylight to film outside! ;):)
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

Super! Looks like the whole community got in on the act. Love a bit of Handel.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm also really partial to the Transyberian orchestra. Sarajevo is one of my all time most favourites.

BillH

Post by BillH »

I always loved this "Christmas Carol"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KbcpKCdTREQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Actually it's based on an Ancient Winter Song, You can tell, because they do not have "Bleak" mid winters out in Palestine, even back then ;)

Another one I like, This time with the correct Lyrics.

Taken back by Ritchie Blackmore..
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/toYx6y-RUgU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I love Christmas, 8)
But don't forget we are really celebrating the New Year.
Re-Birth of God's Sun, as it rises 1 degree North on the 25th December.

The Above, plus "Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly", "I saw three ships come sailing in", and "Silent night" are all MY favourite Songs for that time of year :)

Silent Night, I learned to play that on my Stylophone I got when I was 10 years old.. Rolf Harris and all that..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylophone

Must have driven my parents mad :lol: :lol:
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I completly agree with your choices there Bill, I love Christmas and confess that it is mainly down to having a good time with family and friends rather than any real religious reasons.

I used to love going out Carol singing with one of those great big double bass drums and pounding it as hard as you like while singing "Silent Night" at the top of my voice. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Christmas to me IS about family, friends, having a good time and enjoying the community. I used to love it as a kid going into the big city downtown and being able to see all the Christmas displays in the store windows. Inevitably there would be train set ups and elves with some sort of a Santa theme. Christmas evergreens everywhere all lit up. The bells of the Salvation Army jingling on every corner. And all the fires going in barrels (and logging truck tire wheel things) that you could see. Handouts of hot chocolate and melted marshmellows.

As kids my school Principal used to insist on all of us gathering mornings in the gym and the entire school belting out about 5 or 6 Christmas carols per morning each day of December that school was in. He used to tell us all that no other school ever did this - just enjoy the 'joy' of singing. The last day before Christmas break we sang half the morning. Was fun.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Bill - LOVE Rolf Harris! :):):) haven't thought about him for a long long time. Don't know where his music has gone. Was good!

Ritchie Blackmore is good too. Have not heard of him before but very nice music.

Deck the Hall, God Rest Ye Merry Gents and Hark the Herold Angels Sing are some of my traditional favourites.
BillH

Post by BillH »

LLL, Ritchie Blackmore is a Rock God from the 60's 70's and early 80's.

He was in the Yardbirds, then moved to Deep Purple for many years, You must remember this ?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mCK05dgwgU?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ritchie is the one on lead guitar.. He's the reincarnation of Paganini If I am not much mistaken.. 8)

And then setup his own group Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" usually known as just "Rainbow"

So, He has now gone back to his roots, playing the music he loves the most, Traditional Folk music. Candice Night is his wife and singer..and his new group is the cryptically entitled "Blackmore's Night"

I Love this music...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uVNw0hTYXe8?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Not bad for a 63 year old bloke eh ? Mind you, he doesn't look much over 40 to be fair.. 8)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Only just read this thread.....thought the eskimo kids were absolutely brilliant :)
@ Bill - LOVE Rolf Harris!
Me too! All round entertainer and not a bad artist either. :)

And 'Two little boys' was a favourite when our kids were small and it has a certain relevance at Christmas too...
:gg:
BillH

Post by BillH »

I remember as a child, that song being played one Christmas Grandad.. :)

Rolf Harris is a real genius, his artwork and music are phenomenal..

He strikes me as the kind of person who'd be more at home out in the bush with the Aborigines, rather than living in U.K Suberbia though.. Odd :?