What music takes you back?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great memories WI and thanks for telling us your reasons for liking each particular pieces of music.
I guess your first one would be Harry Nilsson “Without You”

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ERhvqJzmZAY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I think your next one is “Cocaine” by JJ Cale

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KWmD_HcOcfU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You didn’t say if you had a favourite from “Aida” so I chose mine, The Triumphal March

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l3w4I-KElxQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I can understand your choice of Gallipoli as both a place to visit as so many of your countrymen died there, it was also an excellent and moving film. So hopefully this is the music you want to hear.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i_rE1CUT8gI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Nilsson! Doh! It was on the tip of my tongue. :roll:

Yes, it is the Triumphal March in Aida in particular, but any part brings back the occasion really.

No luck with George Michael?

Thanks so much for taking the time to find all those. ;) I hope others enjoy them too.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oops! forgot that one :roll:
Here it is "Older" by George Michael
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4tnPJNxNxkQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

Good question Horus ! but I daren't even start trying to think of mine ! far too many that I could be here forever :lol: Loads of 70's stuff, loads of stuff form Gary Moore, Led Zep, Pink Floyd,Thin Lizzy,Guns and Roses, Black Sabbath,as well as stuff fom Journey,Motorhead, Bon Jovi,Rush,Heart, and and and and ................... :oops: Enjoying hearing other peoples though !
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: You were a real head banger Mimimay :lol: all that heavy metal, just about the only one you left out was Whitesnake ;) I always remember my own son telling his Grandad he had been to see Thin Lizzie and he said "Was she good?" :lol: So I picked you something in the middle that everyone will know. :)
Pink Floyd with the classic "Another brick in the wall"

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VZbM_MIz4RM" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Ah a splendid thread :!:
Do you remember way back H when we had the Music quizz on the Redside, i seem to remember that only you and I ended up quizzing.
Most of my favourites come from the 70's, and although i dont like heavy metal some of the musicians were fantastically clever guys :)

My memorable music was played through a radio ( blue ball shaped) that my father bought for me and played late at night spot welded to my ear so that my parents couldlnt hear me still awake and listening to radio 1 or radio Luxemburg in the wee small hours when i was meant to be sleeping ;)

Some of my list would include Elvis= Way down, New seekers = Never ending song of love, Neil Diamond=Cracklin rosie, I am i said, or anything really by Neil Diamond.
Blimey another memory !! My frined Nicky and i used to sing " The never ending song od love " under the subways in Cosham on our way home from school, it had really good acustics down there :lol: :lol: , well we thought so, but then we thought we sounded pretty good anyway :roll:
I loved things like Puppy love , Donny osmond, i loved Close to you The Carpenters, and many others by the Carpenters now i think of it, ive got thier original Gold Album somewhere in my collection of vynil memories :)
I loved Glam Rock it was so upbeat, and daft, god bell bottoms and an orange tank top have just sprung into my head !!, see look at all the memories music evokes, i am trying to put the memory of the school uniform worn under the subways singing with Nicky out of my mind tho :lol:
Nilson was the song of the time when Alan and i got married, not everyones choice for a wedding song i grant you but we loved it so we had it played at our wedding.
And all of that is just for starters, ooooh just one more " Living next door to alice", the original tho ;)
I lied there are lots more :lol: :lol:
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Thanks so much for George M, Horus! Luuuverly! :P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Fantastic memories Chris and I can relate to doing most of them myself, apart from wearing a gymslip that is. ;)

Yep the old music quiz over on the Red Side, I would set the questions and you would answer them, it was really popular, just you and me playing it. :lol:

Neil Diamond was a great entertainer and I liked most of his songs and one in particular brings back good memories. Many years ago I arranged a special trip to America for Mrs H on our 25th anniversary as she had always wanted to visit “The real Disneyland in Florida” since she could remember. Now can you believe that I had her totally convinced she was going to Spain to visit her father who lived there. It was in the days when one person could do all the check in without all the hassle we have now, so there we were sitting on the runway about to take off when they played this over the cabin intercom, the look on her face was priceless when she realised what was really happening.

America by Neil Diamond
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T3S7mlRYL-8" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Cracklin Rosie by Neil Diamond.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s6FfjlxZLTk" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Get your Gymslip on Christine and head for the subway underpass :lol: :lol:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/38mBBgJorNw" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Oh bliss!! I couldnt resist it i had to sneak onto the original Seekers and ahve a listen to them as well, Another you, a world of our own etc; heaven, good old Judith Durham and Horus of course for providing the links , oooh do keep em coming H ;)
Then i can blame you when i get nothing done, but i do like a do nothing day now and then so............... :roll: :dance4: :d2: hehehe !
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Me again, see now youve got me started......@Keefy and BillH, couldnt agree more with the selections of Boney M and Abba, yes between em they must ahve written/played 100's , i do however bet that i Do know most of what theyve done for the UK charts, as i probably have most of them in one form or another creeping up my walls in the music units :) :)
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

Once a headbanger, always a headbanger Horus !! I hope I never lose my passion for GOOD music.
Yes I forgot Whitesnake,Jimmy Barnes,Free,AC/DC and loads more because they all hold special memories for me, music has played a huge part in my life :D
BillH

Post by BillH »

This song sums it up for me..
I was about 13 when I bought this song, It's not a particular favourite, but it's still a great song..

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QnO3LwkANXw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Take away music from my life, then leave a loaded gun behind 8)

I couldn't leave this topic without leaving this one behind.. ;)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D6SeRG7gs8E" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Class 8)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now isn't that amazing :roll: both of your songs have very strong memory association for me and both involve Africa :)
After working there for many years, we were back home in the UK and went to visit some good friends for a few days who lived in Fife, Scotland, I knew them from Africa. We had some great times and your first song was being played everywhere that we went on that long weekend, so that must make the original over 30 years old by now. :)

I also finished up for a shorter stay in South Africa during the mid eighties and this song by Toto was also being played all the time I was there and became a favourite of mine and brings back sad memories of leaving that place and looking down over the lights of Johannesburg from the plane. When I hear it I always think of the torrential thunderstorms we used to have during the rainy season as they broke the months of drought ;)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Aclassic from the late great Jim Reeves :)
pass me the kleenex :cry:

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Another classic from Procul Harum

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Rub up on my belly like guava jelly ;)

And a bit of country.......big Don Williams

John Denver

And the reggaae version
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
jewel

Post by jewel »

Neil Diamond is utterly brilliant, :D here is another Neil in my opinion is still as good now as he ever was :)

"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohhhh - LOVE Toto and "Africa" and I'm hand in hand with Jewel that Neil Diamond (ohhhhh CRACKLIN' ROSEY and Solitary Man) is the BEST!

I help out and volunteer sometimes at a local homeless shelter and tonight there was a benefit concert by the "Jazz Senators" to help raise money. They played Big Band Jazz and quite a bit of Glenn Miller. Mostly really typically American music but there are some songs that just do take you back to an era that is no more.

I also like "Down Under" and "Men at work" Their style of music is really quite popular too in Trinidad. Has a big of a reggae sound to it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MeG-hNXXy6I" frameborder="0"></iframe>

(WOOOO HOOO H!! Your embedding instructions from UTube worked a charm!)
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Im loving some of this music, so many memories are coming back with each song, H could we have some reggae, maybe some Bob marley ??or maybe we could live on the front line a wee bit with some Eddie Grant
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Nice to see some Aussies featuring: AC/DC (known locally as Acca Dacca), Jimmy Barnes... if you like Barnesy you must try his band Cold Chisel (my fave Oz band), Men At Work.

Try these: Angels, John Farnham, Mondo Rock, Silverchair for starters.

Recently enjoyed a blast of nostalgia at Yusef Islam (Cat Stevens) and Roxy Music concerts.
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

TOTO - Africa ! Love it Bill !
Jewel I couldn't possibly listen to Tige ! It'd be with me for weeks and make my heart heavy !!! I don't think I've listened to it since I was about seven and it still makes me sad when remember it :oops:
Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

Winged Isis wrote:Nice to see some Aussies featuring: AC/DC (known locally as Acca Dacca), Jimmy Barnes... if you like Barnesy you must try his band Cold Chisel (my fave Oz band), Men At Work.

Try these: Angels, John Farnham, Mondo Rock, Silverchair for starters.

Recently enjoyed a blast of nostalgia at Yusef Islam (Cat Stevens) and Roxy Music concerts.
I 'discovered' Jimmy Barnes when I was in Oz WI :) And have seen him playng i the UK many times since :D