What music takes you back?

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

What music takes you back?

Post by Horus »

I was having a nostalgic trawl through YouTube earlier today and listened to a few songs I have not heard for years.
Why not share a few of your own and tell us what memories they evoke and I will try to find them for us all to listen to. ;)

I used to love listening to this guy as his songs always had some meaning to them and it took me back to a more care free time, or so it seemed when I look back. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J8hjEYTpwE8" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

These are a few that take me back

I'm a merry ploughboy - as children we used to go to Newcastle County Down (Ireland) and my Nan and other relatives would sing this for us, along with other songs at the family gathering.

Puff the magic dragon - my friends' aunt and uncle used to sing this to us down on the beach near Penarth (S Wales) - we would have a big fire going made from drift wood and cook bangers and marshmallows.

Celtic Symphony - this memory isn't that old may be 15 years or so but always reminds me of walking down Lord Street in Southport and my 3 nephews and 1 niece suddenly burst into song - they were aged 6-11 and were visiting from Kenya, my music ranges from classical, folk, jazz, rock and roll to basically anything upto the mid 60's but this was the one they picked up on and of course as soon as my sister asked them to either stop or sing something else they just sang louder.
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Just remembered another one - Running Bear - takes me back to 1964 or 5 - my girlfriend's parents had just purchased a music centre and this was one of the 3 records they had and that summer we acted the song out using a paddling pool as the river - my costume was easy to make - 2 of my dad's hankies and a piece of string, my mum's best lipstick for the war paint, can't remember where I obtained the feathers from but I remember being told off . We were quite creative for 6 year olds.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

I liked this one from Boney M (I still do and most of the others by them) its the bit near the end I like though (around 2.40), its catchy :oops:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0EjLWh2150I" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I remember most of Meat Loaf classic songs, I like this one from one of his albums which i dont think was one of his classics - im gonna love her for both of us

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s_v1QX-obCU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And a slow one - Odyssey - If you're looking for a way out

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j1zZm-UO2RI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Of course there's 1,000's more but the ones above come to mind when reading your post.

:oops: :oops: :oops: OK I will just slip out of the backdoor :oops: :oops: :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice ones Keefy :) I am also a big Meat Loaf fan, I think that one is from the Dead Ringer Album :) but I cant remember if it is a Jim Steinman composition or not, although it sounds like one.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Thats a great one H.......there was a busker in the town last week sang just like that, had a harmonica too ...lovely :)
Also liked the one by Odyssey although not heard it before

Actually I am very eclectic in my musical tastes and enjoy a huge range, including many from years before I was around :oops:

So so many but these among the best......some classics that I think sound so good even now :) :D

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm the same Jewel, some good choices :) I like most music although some of the more modern stuff leaves a lot to be desired :roll:

Ah yes Brian, :) the song made famous by Peter Paul & Mary, Puff the Magic Dragon, which actually is a song that is about recalling nostalgic childhood memories, so very apt Brian. :) So here it is:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qu_rItLPTXc" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And if you can still find some feathers, :lol: here is Running Bear, a catchy ballad, but for some reason or another I was thinking that it was Marty Wilde had made this record and not Johnny Preston, so my memory must be getting bad.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E3meEmDpaDU" frameborder="0"></iframe>
jewel

Post by jewel »

Another gem from PP&M :)

"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
BillH

Post by BillH »

Strangely, I like many of those songs that are mentioned in this topic..
now, Puff the Magic Dragon, that really takes me back to a different era.
I loved that song, but it did make me sad, at the end.. :(

Because of a man named Les Paul, we got the Electric Guitar, and Rock and Roll reached it's epitome in the 60's and 70's, when creativity was at it's highest, and the totally innovative music that came from the likes of.

Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Argent, Elton John, E.L.O, Queen, Jimmi Hendrix, Styx, the Yardbirds, Gary Moore, Fleetwood Mac.. Where do I end this list ?

All the children from the war or early post war years created this music..
Why is the question you should ask, if you do not know..

Music is a very powerful Force, another "vibration"..
Funny how when you hear a "Classic" song for the very first time, you think to yourself "sounds familiar".. NO ?

I love ALL music, but I never really got what Jazz was all about, but loved old Satchmo...
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Wow! there's one to ponder Bill with the 'Yardbirds' they bring back loads of memories and very prophetic songs, just had to add one of theirs. ;)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7HPeOQamUKY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Would have put up a live version, but they were all crap :roll:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now here's one to take you back 'She's not there' by the Zombies.
Note the influence of the 60s era in the way they are dressed and standing, this style can be seen in other groups such as The Searchers, Dave Clarke Five, The Beatles and many more :) In our day it was the done thing to dress smartly, I would not have been seen dead without my Italian styled suits and Cuban heels :lol: Anyway Boy George has nothing on this guy ;)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kjp0EhQCFM0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
BillH

Post by BillH »

Talk about Synchronicity.. I was listening to The Zombies song this afternoon on my PC at work.

She's not there, classic.. 8) although I did like Santana's version with Robert Cray singing that song on the Moonflower album IIRC ..

Here's my Favourite Yardbirds song..
Still I'm sad.. Later covered by the great Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y9g5cPHNT9M" frameborder="0"></iframe>
I was 4 years old back then..

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, were good too, Groovy kind of love.

Eric Stewart ( The singer and guitarist in this video) later went on to become the best part of 10CC

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9B8k3wzHUvE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Please work you magic on my links Horus.. The old grey matter is failing me again today.. Need a transplant.. :oops:
Any Takers ?? w..

Edit: Magic Worked as requested ;)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of my most favourite songs ever is Sting and Cheb Mami singing Desert Rose

I like Boney M and "Rasputin"
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kvDMlk3kSYg" frameborder="0"></iframe>

"White Rabbit" sung by good old Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane brings back memories always

I love all the music of the 60ies and 70ies. It was so liberating, new and conveyed a message. Invoked feelings bigtime.
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Thanks for posting H. Forgot to mention that Running Bear ended up as running bare thanks to my brother.

I'm 99% certain that LLL has asked this question before but how do you get the youtube video to show rather than just the link.

Going through my music last night brought back so many happy memories, so thanks again H. I hadn't realised how much of my music brought back memories.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The old nostalgia cells are kicking into overdrive, I remember going to see Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders along with many others of that era :) Good choices Bill :)

LLL, Boney M brings back a few memories, great dance music with Bobby Farrel (who died not so long back) twirling about, it knackered me just watching him. They made lots of other good stuff, although in reality the members (who changed over time) started out being just a front for records produced originally in a studio by their manager the record producer Frank Farian who used the pseudonym 'M. Boney' hence the name, Boney M and so the group was actually a German one. :)

Brian, just open up your chosen video and while it is playing, click on the 'Embedded' button below the video. It will show a long string of text highlighted in blue, just copy and paste the entire text string into your post. :) Some videos have this option disabled :(
BillH

Post by BillH »

Thank You for sorting my links in my posts out Horus 8)

ABBA .. Now they were quality..

Boney M probably had as many hits as ABBA did, you should try to think back just how many they both had, it may well surprise you..

Come to think of it, ABBA's music was based on traditional Folk music, in a similar way to Ritchie Blackmore (ex Yardbirds and Deep Purple and Rainbow ) who based his music on that of Bach and Bethoven's music.
He and Robert Plant ( Led Zep singer ) have both individually moved into the Folk Music scene, resurrecting long lost ways of music.

Hard to imagine the Mean Moody Axe man of the seventies now composing and playing this kind of music.
( Lucky beggar recently married Candice Night, singing in this song, his co collaborator and bed warmer 8) not bad considering his age and her's )

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EQnXGT3CYzo" frameborder="0"></iframe>
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It has been interesting too to see how some of the Singers (Cher, Madonna etc) have evolved and developed over the years. Some of 'em have really hung in and made their mark.

Do you think that singers reflect the times? or do you think they actually influence the times?

I'm of a mind that 'singers' are actually more socially influential than movie stars (although some singers become 'stars').
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You only have to listen to the likes of Joan Baez and Bob Dylan to realise that they do indeed influence their generations, they may be a part of it, but they vocalise what people are trying to say and spread the message so to speak. Their lyrics made sense if you bothered to listen to them, more poetry than song and others followed in that same vein of singing poetry such as Simon & Garfunkel.

Here is a very early clip of Sonny & Cher, I must confess to falling in love with her at first sight and why she fancied that ugly Sonny Bono when I was available is beyond my comprehension, but she was naturally beautiful anyway, so why she had all that plastic surgery stuff done to herself is another mystery to me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BERd61bDY7k" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Here is a great Joan Baez song thats often copied, there is even a great cover version by Judas Priest

“Diamonds & Rust”
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KtQh0EBbPwo" frameborder="0"></iframe>
BillH

Post by BillH »

The great music and songs are gifts from creation.. no doubt about that.

Many people find that they can learn through songs, one simple example is children learning the Alphabet.
Music is a very powerful force, in so many ways, not just esoteric..
Consider repartition, African drumming, songs that make you feel something !
They can communicate universally in so many ways.

Even the church tried to prevent certain songs from being sung hundreds of years ago, out in the countryside. In the end, because they couldn't prevent people from singing them, they stole them and changed the words.

Pagans had Winter Songs, now some of these songs ( with Lyrics changed ) are called Christmas carol's..
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

To get back to the origional request...

The first songs that came to my mind on reading the initial post were those associated with certain people, apart from the fact they were really great tunes.

First were connected to old flames (and still good friends); you know, the ones you called "our song". Two good memories that were instant recalls: cannot remember the singer (Harry someone) but "Without You" was one, for obvious reasons. Another was J.J. Cahill's "Cocaine", for less obvious reasons: it was hotly debated at the time as to whether it should be banned. So we naturally weren't having that just on principle (such rebels we were! :lol: ), not because we used the substance, which we didn't.

I will now always associate "Aida" with sitting in front of the spotlighted pyramids and Great Sphinx at Giza with my husband on a balmy night; his first live opera performance. But his and my "our song" is "Older" by George Michael; not for the words but the atmospheric music and his excellent rendition, and how we often listened to it sitting up very late in the dark on our balcony in Cairo on our honeymoon, on warm October nights. Sigh. :oops:

At the other end of the spectrum, "Adagio in G-minor for Strings and Organ" which was (allegedly) composed by Tomaso Albinoni and was used so hauntingly at the end of the movie "Gallipoli". When I finally got to this iconic (for Aussies and Kiwis) site in Turkey (one of my "bucket list" places), I could hear it in my head the whole time I was walking around, and could see the ghosts of those long-dead young men. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it right now. And if I hear it now, I cannot do anything else but stand and listen, and I am instantly transported back to those windswept battlefields and stark cemeteries.

Maybe H can find videos, as you know I am not anything like a techxpert. :oops: