2 USB STICKS

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

2 USB STICKS

Post by Kiya »

I have 2 USB sticks 1 = 4GB & 1 = 2 GB, I have emptied them so to take on holiday.

I was thinking I could transfer my photos from camera to USB stick while on holiday at the hotel computers/internet.

Is there anything I should do with sticks > " format " etc before I go :?:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: 2 USB STICKS

Post by Horus »

Not really, but remember that there is always less space on the USB stick than it's reported size because it also contains a small bit of operating software, threfore a 4GB would not hold 4GB of images, more likely around 3.7 or similar. Also when you make your transfer make sure that you can read the USB stick as another drive on the computer you are using and make a note of the designation letter that the PC allocates to it, i.e. D,E,F,G etc. Now insert your camera memory card and open up the (usually) DCIM folder and you should see all your images, once you know they are there go back up to the 'Folder' level and just do a 'Drag & Drop' that particular folder onto your memory stick, (which should be open on your desktop) do it this way rather than just copying each image. It will take longer to transfer images to a memory stick due to the slower technology of USB 2, so be patient and don't remove the USB stick until it shows the folder has been copied. This will leave the images still on the cameras memory card so you will need to delete them, but only AFTER you have removed the USB stick and then re-inserted it and again checked to see the images are all there, but ONLY delete the Camera memory card images IN THE CAMERA, do not delete them on the PC you are using. :up

Edit: Don't let this confuse you, but each time you insert or remove a USB stick or a memory card, the PC you are using will allocate a different drive letter to it. Therefore if you insert the USB stick first it may for example give it the next letter (say) 'E' then if you put the Camera Card in it will allocate it the letter 'F' but if you remove the USB stick and look again it will have re-allocated the Camera card drive letter as 'E', but if you insert the USB again it will have become drive 'F' so in effect they will have swapped drive letters. I only point this out so you make sure you are looking at the correct storage media i.e. the Memory Card or the USB stick as it could confuse you.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok Thanks Horus, just thought I would check before I tempted anything on a strange computer.

Think I'll do a trial run at home first.

Thanks again :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good idea, it is quite straight forward, but if you give it a try yourself you will see what I mean about drive letters and the time it takes to copy a full folder onto the USB stick. :up