HELP-------POP-UPS

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

HELP-------POP-UPS

Post by Kiya »

I need some help, lately while I read emails the "pop-ups start" I don't even get the chance to read my emails for them.

I no sooner X them away & another pops-up just as quick, I know there is a way of stopping this but I have forgotten :(

Help!! someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee .

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: HELP-------POP-UPS

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have something called "Pop up Blocker" that the guy who set up my laptop put on when I bought it. I believe it is a free program (at least I didn't have to pay for it). It doesn't stop ALL pop-ups as some programs on opening them will still have a pop-up appear but X-ing it closed seems to stop it from re-opening up.

I wish there was a way to stop all pop-ups and spam emails. Most annoying.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I didn't have this problem before, it's just sudden thing in the last couple of weeks which I'm really fed up of now.

Need to get rid before I'm sent bammy!!!!!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I guess we need a bit of wisdom from H on this Kiya. I would assume that pop ups are created by cookies, particularly 'tracking cookies' that follow you and pop up anything that it thinks may be of interest.
In my system security (that I pay a couple of pounds a month for) I have an option 'Remove Tracking Cookies'. I keep this checked and to be honest I have very little problem with pop ups. Do you know how to block cookies? That may help, otherwise...where are you H....Help! :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I thought it was always better to have cookies as they help you browse quicker or have I got it all wrong ??

Yes H where are you..........help :!:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm here, just trying to get things back to normal again :)
OK so first off what browser are you using?
And while we are waiting go to Control Panel and Under 'Network & Internet' go to 'Internet Options' and choose the 'Delete browsing and cookies' option
Under the 'Genearal' tab you will see the option 'Browsing History' click the 'Delete' button.
You should have a tick in the following boxes:
'Temperary Internet files and website files'
'Cookies and website data'
'History'
Also make sure that you have a tick in the box marked = 'Preserve favourites website data' this will save your favourites from being deleted.

Now click the 'Delete' button and that will remove all your cookies.

Now also run the 'Malawarebytes' program that I gave you all the link to and hopefully you still have installed on your PC. When you do run this program it will ask if you want to update it, this is OK, let it update then run a full scan and let me know how you go on. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I browse with Windows 7 but IE often pops up to ask if I want it to save my password etc.

I didn't see anything in Control Panel with" Network & Internet " but I have "Internet Options" which I clicked on.

Once that opens there is a tick at " Delete Browsing history on exit " when I click on " Delete " it takes me to the next Menu

Preserve Favourites website data......ticked.

Temporary Internet files and websites files....not ticked

Cookies and website data.....ticked.

History.....ticked.

Download History....ticked.

Form data.....ticked.

Passwords....ticked.

Tracking Protection, ActiveX Filtering and Do Not Track.

I did a Threat Scan with Malware which showed "

PUP.Optional.SmartBar....there is loads of them & at top of that in RED print with a X it says " Choose an action for the detected items!!

Do I click on Quarantine All or Apply Actions ????
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya I don't know if this helps but as you seem to be seeing the same in 'Control Panel' as me; under Internet Options> then the 'Privacy' tab, I have an option to select 'Pop Up Blocker' which on mine is checked. Might be worth a look because, as I said, I don't have pop up problems.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes Grandad that is Ticked also & I'm still having pop-ups mostly when I open emails.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I browse with Windows 7 but IE often pops up to ask if I want it to save my password etc.
Kiya, Windows 7 is your operating system, but it looks like you are using IE as your search engine and not something else like 'Firefox'

I didn't see anything in Control Panel with" Network & Internet " but I have "Internet Options" which I clicked on.
That's OK it is just the way your PC is set up, but you are in the correct menu.

Once that opens there is a tick at " Delete Browsing history on exit " when I click on " Delete " it takes me to the next Menu
You do not have to have a tick in the 'Delete Browsing History on Exit' box in order to delete your cookies, but it will do no harm.
Even without a tick in that box you can still click the 'Delete button.

Preserve Favourites website data......ticked. That is correct :up

Temporary Internet files and websites files....not ticked You should tick this box

Cookies and website data.....ticked. That is correct :up

History.....ticked. That is correct :up

Download History....ticked. Not neccessary to tick this box, but no problem if you do

Form data.....ticked. Not neccessary to tick this box, but also no problem if you do, but you may find that some things that used to get filled in automatically do not do so in the future

Passwords....ticked. Again not neccessary to tick this box, but also no problem if you do, but you will find that you need to log in again to your regular websites or any site that had your password saved previously.

Tracking Protection, ActiveX Filtering and Do Not Track. I doubt if you have any sites in this list, so no need to add a tick in this box.

I did a Threat Scan with Malware which showed "

PUP.Optional.SmartBar....there is loads of them & at top of that in RED print with a X it says " Choose an action for the detected items!!

Do I click on Quarantine All or Apply Actions ????

From what you describe you have quite a few trojans that Malawarebytes has found and listed ALWAYS choose the 'Quarantine All' option unless there is also a 'delete' or 'remove' option in which case delete them. :up Now that you have done that, shut down your PC and then start it up again, after it starts go to control panel again and once more delete your cookies as described above and then run the Malaware bytes again. Do this a couple of times and see if you get a clear scan result then let me know.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus..............AVG just finished a full scan & nothing detected but I'll go back to Malware & follow your instructions :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, always run Malawarebytes even after AVG has reported nothing, it finds stuff that AVG misses. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus I did everything you say above, I also ran scans with AVG which nothing was detected but that was after I scanned with Malwarebytes , I've since ran a couple more scans with Malware which was ok

Also ran a scan with MSE which found one Trojan which I got rid off :xx

I'll have to wait now to see how everything is after getting some emails.

BTW I've been doing a lot of searches for my Rome holiday & enquiries via email, just wondered if I got anything from that.

Also emails from LLL gave pop-ups also............don't want to alarm you LLL but thought it worth saying.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I would switch my browser to Firefox which I now prefer to either Google or IE.

At least you seem to get emails from LLL Kiya....any that she sends me get dumped straight in the trash bin for some reason so I have to remember to look every couple of days. It does the same with Jay so maybe it filters out mails from foriegn lands :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've NEVER had a pop-up in email or, for instance, while I'm on this Forum. About the only place I'm getting pop-ups is when I'm on the WWW or internet browsing. Then I'm subject to all sorts of pop-ups which I really dislike.

Kiya - have you recently installed a new program? I remember once I installed something and then my Home Page disappeared and another one started coming up. I don't remember now who told me (maybe Horus or ? can't remember) but when I installed the new program apparently there is a tick box somewhere that allows a new Home Page. I didn't know to untick the box but I do know I ended up having to uninstall the entire program (which wasn't difficult) and then when I re-installed I had to UN-tick the box. But that didn't have anything to do with pop-ups - just thought if you did there might have been something that said Ads will appear.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

:lol: :lol: Maybe Grandad.

After all that scans & shutting down & loading up I'm totally wiped out , I hope I never see another Trojan :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Although mainly harmless these trojans are a pain in the arse :xx you probably did pick one up while surfing the net and they are programed to keep putting up links you may like so you probably had lots of holiday, travel and Rome stuff. Once that particular trojan has been removed you should be OK although some sites still have pop up adds on their home pages (in fact most do).

Grandad has suggested using Firefox as your browser and I would agree and you can set it to block most pop up windows under the tools options :up

So how is your Rome planning going? good I hope :up
I missed out on a nice long weekend break for the end of the week :( I bumped into someone who was going to LLandudno on a coach trip with hotel stays and asked if I fancied going if there was any spare space left. :up I was really looking forward to going as I have just about finished my mega job at home, the last carpet goes down tomorrow and the vertical blinds are being fitted on Wednesday. I had arranged for my brother to have Annie for a few days as a provisional measure, but .................................. it didn't come off, no spare places :( So I was as sick as a parrot :cry:

Oh well back to the decorating :st
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I was hardly getting the chance to see the popups there were so many popping up, it took me all my time X them away, no sooner one was up then another :x

I'm not sure of changing my browser I would have to get somebody else to do all that, not Roy he's so busy with other things etc, going off shore tomorrow & the joiners are coming here today to do his carport & his second car has to go for Mot before selling............of course mammy is left to deal with everything , appts etc etc.

Have done a lot of searching about Rome, will be booking some of the sites like the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Colleseum etc etc on line as that way we jump the long lines of visitors.

The hotel Rome Cavalieri Hotel looks gorgeous but very pricey, wish Roy waited to book it with me I would have found one much cheaper............but, then that would have spoiled my birthday surprise. :) :) :)

That's such a pity you lost out on your coach trip, would have done you good to get away for a bit but, don't give up there is always other times.............I think you deserve it after all your hard work :) :)