WHAT COULD IT BE.......

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Horus »

That looks good also Grandad, my only reservation is the battery as it is custom to the camera, at least with AA size batteries you can always buy new ones and throw them away when they go flat, (maybe after several hundred shots if you don't keep reviewing them) so no need for charging them whilst in a hotel etc. which can sometimes be a problem abroad.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best of luck with this entire thing Kiya. Jessops doesn't give me a good feeling at all. Hopefully the guys at Canon will have it fixed and ready for your trip.

I'd be beside myself if I was going there without a camera. To me taking photos is half the trip!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you folks :) took a note of camera's from you Horus & Grandad :)

Well if it's come back faulty again I wonder if I could try them for a compact camera in place of my bill I paid more than 3 weeks ago & of course get my Canon also ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd be doing exactly what Horus said that I wouldn't be touching the camera myself until THEY (Jessop) tried it first. Then with the fellow standing right beside me I'd try it myself. The camera would not be leaving the store until I fully tried it out and knew it was working. I think I'd also be taking a few hundred photos even if it is working just to be sure it was going work.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To true and try every setting on the camera even if you don't know what it does :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

What a difference when you get a helpful/polite young man in Jessops today.

Hallelujah it works, the young chap set it all up for me & took some photos in shop in different modes.

Since coming home I took some photos on a new SDHC card 8GB but when I went to upload photos in Elements 11 it just froze but, the older SD card 2gb works fine.

Am sure it was said before about formatting card but...............I don't remember best where to do it, on camera or computer ????

I would like the bigger card for my holiday.

Here's one of the new roof on his carport, I'm pretty sure this 1 is not going to move.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WHEW! Great you got the camera back and it is working!! That is a big weight off that it works and now you'll be able to entertain all of us with your photos of your trip. I had a vested interest in you having your camera cause I wanted to see your photos! Very happy you have it and now I'll get the benefit and enjoyment of your photos!! :up :up :up

I always format the memory card IN my camera. I go to MENU (which is a button on the back) and then when the menu actually comes up in the window screen on back I click that I want to format the memory card. It then gives me a warning that doing this will clear the card of ALL photos and I click 'yes' I want to do that.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Always, always, format your card IN CAMERA and never delete or modify images on your PC and then save to the card via your PC, it is asking for trouble. Have a mess with your camera settings and choose a medium pixel setting like 8MP and you should be able to store hundreds of images on your memory card whilst on holiday. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well formatted card in camera & still Elements 11 freezes & yet the old card works fine.......I'm stuck as what to do :?:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya check as to what is the maximun size your camera takes, it may be too big, aksi make sure it is the same type, for example SDHC or similar.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The new card is a SDHC & has another logo on it which I cant make out & the old card is SD.......... with no logo on it.

I cant see anywhere in the manual for sizes of cards.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The logo doesn't really matter much as it's only a brand name, but the difference between SD and SDHC can affect your camera, try reading this link and checking out your camera's handbook, you may have a card that is not compatible.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5128123_diffe ... cards.html
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Checked camera manual & cant see anything to help me with card.

Had a look at the link you gave & I think the SDHC is not compatible so wondering now should I get a second SD 2gb card just in case 1 card isn't enough on holiday.

Strange this morning when first tried camera a message came up on screen saying " Error 99 switch off camera then switch back on or take out battery & put it back in " ok did both & it's been working fine with SD card.................strange :!:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Kiya, I bought a Panasonic Lumix from Amazon and when it went dead it was returned and they replaced it with a new one in a few days, no questions asked. So sorry about all the rubbish you are going through.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Jayway :) so far it's working ok..............as long as it keeps going for the duration of my holiday :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, I downloaded the pdf for what I think is the manual for your camera. Page 178 confirms that compatible memory cards are SD and SDHC.
Page 40 gives instructions for reformatting memory cards IN THE CAMERA.
I have copied the relevant bits here. 5267
Use the full format in clause 2 because the dustbin option only removes any files on the card but does not completely reformat the card.
You have also mentioned problems with PSE11. I would uninstall and reinstall the program so that you know you have a clean program with a freshly formatted SDHC card and all should be well.
You talk about 2gb cards. That is not very big if you take pictures at a high resolution. I always use 8gb cards. They are so cheap now.
Hope this helps. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya you will get about 300 images on a 2GB card if your camera is around 15 Mega Pixel and you only shoot in Jpeg. If you set your camera to take images at say 8 MB in size then you should get about 600 images on the 2GB card. Memory cards are cheap enough and I would just get another 2GB card if that size is giving you no trouble and keep it in your camera case as a spare. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Grandad & Horus for all the info/help. :)

Following your guide Grandad it only lets me format with No 2....the "bin" looking icon highlighted , I cannot shift it to the " low level format with "tick" icon ??????

I will uninstall Elements 11 & see if that helps in anyway.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok I have tried everything..............Elements 11 has been uninstalled & reinstalled.

The 2GB SD card works perfectly but, as soon as I try with the 8GB SDHC card it freezers everything in Elements 11, as a last resort I went to format it on the computer but it doesn't even show up to do anything with it.

I can only think it's a faulty card or I may have formatted it first of all on computer.

I had a last minute thought before I binned it, I tried it in my Digital Frame & it shows the photos on there with the SDHC 8GB card but again it's useless for me if it wont show on my computer for copying photos from computer to this card. :xx
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Why do you want to copy from the computer to the card?

Have you tried copying to the computer using the USB cable that came with the camera and connecting it from the camera to a USB port. I always transfer direct from camera to computer in that way and never use a card reader for this transfer process.

Have you got anything important on the 8gb card? If not try reformatting in the camera. I very much doubt that the card is U/S....
:gg: