WHAT COULD IT BE.......

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I've tried everything above , I phoned Jessops & asked for the manager ( off today, convenient eh ) spoke to the team leader, explained everything.............so....next thing is back to Jessops store for them to look it over but, after doing a few searches he said it sounds like the sensor has a problem.

I'm hoping he finds something I've over looked & he's been well warned I'm not paying another deposit or bill................look out anyone who gets in my way ;) :xx

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd be making the trip in person with notepad in hand to write down ALL names, confirmation numbers etc. I'd personally be asking Canon for a NEW camera.

Best of luck with this Kiya!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Remember Kiya that you paid them to diagnose the camera fault and then to carry out a full repair, that was the contract and your paid your money on that basis. So accept no nonsense off either of them, Jessops or Cannon and refuse to part with any more money and make it clear that unless you get the camera back in full working order that you will simply take them to the small claims court which will cost you nothing and they will have to attend to justify their shoddy work (which costs them money) whereas you will certainly be awarded the case as they have not fulfilled their side of the contract which was to assess the problem and then carry out a full repair. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I'll bear everything in mind when I get to Jessops today............another inconvenience they're causing me all this travelling back & fore to Aberdeen.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best of luck to you Kiya!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

My visit to Jessop's Friday past with my daughter & camera in hand didn't go very well.
Just before entering shop I pre-warned my daughter not to say anything but to listen to everything being said.
We entered shop & I could see 2 male staff with other customers , as we walked the length of the shop to the counter I saw other 2 male staff at the back of shop talking with a female which I didn't see but heard.
We stood there for a couple of minutes & I remarked to my daughter " let's see how long they take to come serve us" I had to move around counter to let them see me & after another minute or so one came through.
I asked if he was the manager which he was! I explained when I put camera in for repair 14th July & got it back on 5 1/2wks later on 20th August (my brother picked it up for me) & paid a bill £148.16 minus the deposit of £25, I stated it still has a fault & each picture was showing black.
It was on the Auto mode & he took a picture "black" he then changed it to Manuel & took a picture "black" he then took the lens off pressed the shutter button & looked inside camera, whatever for I've no idea!
He went on to say we'll send it back under the warranty which I thought when it comes back the 2nd time my warranty better start on that date! however I went on to say I had every faith in Jessops & Canon after the fault & service was fixed that everything would be good & asked " do you think its fair after I've paid the bill & nothing to show for it I should be refunded or at least part refunded due to the camera still being faulty, undue stress & travelling costs, he turns & snaps "I don't know I'm not a engineer" & just to be patient & don't get so stressed ".....how I kept calm I don't know but, the only one I saw getting snappy /stressed was him after asking for a refund, I asked 2-3 times for refund & he said " we'll see when camera comes back" I went onto to say "no now! surely you can see & understand I've paid a bill & nothing to show for it.
Anyways it did not happen & he handed me a ticket & said he wrote with the camera to Canon ....asap!.....btw.....while he was doing a write up for Canon I looked behind me & my daughter to see 2 male staff standing 3-4 feet away from us & looking our way, " I thought then are they there trying to intimidate us........what a laugh!!
Coming out of the shop my daughter was fuming & said he had no right speaking to you like that so now....... What do I do when eventually get camera back ????? should I just take it & go or accept maybe a small refund if at all or demand all ?????
I just cannot see it happening!!!!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

My visit to Jessop's Friday past with my daughter & camera in hand didn't go very well.
Just before entering shop I pre-warned my daughter not to say anything but to listen to everything being said.
We entered shop & I could see 2 male staff with other customers , as we walked the length of the shop to the counter I saw other 2 male staff at the back of shop talking with a female which I didn't see but heard.
We stood there for a couple of minutes & I remarked to my daughter " let's see how long they take to come serve us" I had to move around counter to let them see me & after another minute or so one came through.
I asked if he was the manager which he was! I explained when I put camera in for repair 14th July & got it back on 5 1/2wks later on 20th August (my brother picked it up for me) & paid a bill £148.16 minus the deposit of £25, I stated it still has a fault & each picture was showing black.
It was on the Auto mode & he took a picture "black" he then changed it to Manuel & took a picture "black" he then took the lens off pressed the shutter button & looked inside camera, whatever for I've no idea!
He went on to say we'll send it back under the warranty which I thought when it comes back the 2nd time my warranty better start on that date! however I went on to say I had every faith in Jessops & Canon after the fault & service was fixed that everything would be good & asked " do you think its fair after I've paid the bill & nothing to show for it I should be refunded or at least part refunded due to the camera still being faulty, undue stress & travelling costs, he turns & snaps "I don't know I'm not a engineer" & just to be patient & don't get so stressed ".....how I kept calm I don't know but, the only one I saw getting snappy /stressed was him after asking for a refund, I asked 2-3 times for refund & he said " we'll see when camera comes back" I went onto to say "no now! surely you can see & understand I've paid a bill & nothing to show for it.
Anyways it did not happen & he handed me a ticket & said he wrote with the camera to Canon ....asap!.....btw.....while he was doing a write up for Canon I looked behind me & my daughter to see 2 male staff standing 3-4 feet away from us & looking our way, " I thought then are they there trying to intimidate us........what a laugh!!
Coming out of the shop my daughter was fuming & said he had no right speaking to you like that so now....... What do I do when eventually get camera back ????? should I just take it & go or accept maybe a small refund if at all or demand all ?????
I just cannot see it happening!!!!!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

One thing for sure Kiya, if you have not got it back in 4 weeks, start raising the roof because you need to make sure it is OK BEFORE your trip to Rome.

I think you have got to discount the 51/2 weeks because that is not excessive and (normally) you would have expected the camera to be fully functioning on its return after a problem that was not Jessops and possibly not Canons taking into account the 12 months original warrantee that was expired.

So, in my opinion, your INCONVENIENCE OF BEING WITHOUT A CAMERA starts from when your brother collected it Wednesday 20 August because from that date it was still unusable. So when it is eventually available for collection, you should go in person, check that the camera is working and then make a fuss about the time you have been without camera (from 20 August until the date Jessops advise it ready for collection) and also your out of pocket costs for a second trip to Aberdeen. You can't claim the first because that related to the original problem and you must accept that.

So, see if you can get AT LEAST £50 refund for your inconvenience, or at least some goody like a camera bag (if you haven't got one) or a few nice filters....

At the end of the day (I hate that expression :lol: ) It was neither Jessops, Canons, nor your fault that it failed, so try to find the best amicable settlement for your additional costs and inconvenience due to their failure to resolve the problem in the first place........
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad .....thanks for your advice, you know every time I think about it it just upsets me & I go through it all again in my head, they're just not worth it :(

The sooner I have my camera back, try them for a refund or anything for my inconvenience I'll never set foot in that store again :!:

The good news is my new passport came on Friday past taking only 10 days :) that's a weight of my mind :)

The bad news Roy maybe not be free for the Rome holiday with me due to work commitments that he has to go at a moments notice :( Norway, Tunisia & work offshore needs him.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have to say I really really do not like all these businesses that are nothing more than middle men. We have LOTS here and they are useless. They bring in lots of items, stand behind nothing and even balk at having to send something back preferring the customer sends it back themselves to the company if something goes wrong.

AND Canadian law does not require any store or business to give a refund either. The bigger box stores do which means most people flock to them preferring never to have to deal with the "Jessop" type stores.

I'd be on about my inconvenience, would be very clear that I'd be telling EVERYBODY I knew about the shoddy service which, if the store (Jessops) is concerned at all about their reputation they'd not want me to do........

BEST of LUCK with all this this time.

If it was me I'd be on the line to Canon, demanding (in a nice way) to be put through to their service Department and I'd be telling them directly all about my camera and then explaining my inconvenience to them and telling them about my upcoming trip etc. I'd also be telling them all about Jessops and how much I DREADED dealing with them. Am quite sure Canon could make the guys at Jessops think about customer service AND it could be that Canon would send you some perks related to the camera too. From the sounds of it I wouldn't wait for Jessops to do this but am thinking Canon would. They just need your personal touch to do so. (Maybe Canon did send you some stuff before and Jessops waylaid it to sell ...... ???)

I might also want to talk to Canon to see what testing they did on the camera. It is possibly they might have fully tested it and it could be working and some fumble finger at Jessops could have re-dropped it too.

I'd avoid the middle man and try talking to Canon myself........I can't even envision a mere sales clerk to try and intimidate me! Silly man if he even tried! ;) ;) ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks LLL, I don't know if I've got in me to go through it all again.

As far as I'm led to believe my camera has been sent to a Canon store in England..............found out yesterday there is a repair store in Glasgow for Canon, Nikon etc etc A.J.Johnstone & Co Ltd Photographic Engineers.

Just makes me wonder if my camera is there all along.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Kiya - it also makes me wonder IF some generic photo service man doesn't do a monthly or 6 week route around to all the different shops fixing what they've collected. Are you sure your camera ever left Jessops? Or did some tech come TO Jessops and look at it there?

I don't know what volume Jessop is dealing in but at the shipping costs they're charging it could pay to bring some guy to them especially if he was fixing Nikon, Canon, Olympus - the entire Brand name group. And if he was coming to Jessops it could have been their own guys doing the testing after the fact of what was being fixed.

Just my couple of worthless pennies worth (just saying cause we don't have pennies anymore)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It all makes me wonder too :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just thought my latest conspiracy theory might explain WHY your Jessop's man was so testy. Why should it be any bother to him if Canon didn't do their job right - UNLESS ......... unless unless unless there is something else going on that he doesn't want you to find out about.

I'd definitely be placing a call to Canon to see IF your camera ever arrived there in the first place .........
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Just phoned Jessops to check if there was any word on my camera since I put it back with them 3 weeks ago.

I spoke to the manager & he said there was a letter sent to me a few days ago, with my reply I said " that's funny the first time it was in for repair you said the same thing about a letter been sent to me which did not arrive " again he told me to take it up with Royal Mail. This letter's seem to be the only ones that go missing :urm:

I asked him if he checked if it was working, "No" he said it was all wrapped up ....doh!!! how stupid can he be!!

I told him I will check it before leaving shop with his reply being " take your battery & card with you " as if I would forget :roll:

I have a bad bad feeling about this :( :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Be prepared Kiya. If you get to 10 days before your trip and still no response, I suggest you get on to Amazon and buy a decent compact and spare battery. You can return it if your camera arrives before your departure...But But But, you may be taking a risk if you have not had plenty of time to make sure your Canon is working OK. It is unlikely that you will need a long zoom so something with a short zoom should suit you fine. And it would be much lighter to carry around...
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great minds think alike Grandad :)

I was intending asking you guys on advice for a compact camera/point/shoot.

So what advice on cameras can you give ?????
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, when you collect your camera unwrap it in the shop and then ask the manager (or others) to confirm that the camera is working correctly and the repair is complete a this is what you have paid THEM for. Then before leaving the shop check it yourself by trying out everything you know about the camera, if anything is suspect, take it to them again and ask them to explain or check it.

Now Grandads advice is very good, order yourself a half decent compact from Amazon (don’t forget a big-ish memory card) get one that takes bog standard AA batteries (available almost anywhere). Keep the packaging and after trying it out to get familiar with it, put it into a cheap carrying case (you can get them for under a fiver). Take it with you and if needed use the camera, either way when you get back you just get back to Amazon and make a return on the grounds that the camera is not what you expected. Amazon are very good on returns and you will have no problems even if you have used it and the procedure is simple, I can honestly say I have never had a problem in returning goods.

Something like this would be ideal
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks for your advice on camera/case :) will keep an eye on them :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

When I looked earlier I was drawn to this one because I have experience of Panosonics with Leica lenses and they are very good. But remember, all compacts only have an LCD screen so you must be prepared to work with that.

I hope it doesn't come to it and after following Horus's good advice, you are able to take your trusted and familiar Canon......but it is good to have a contingency plan ;) :lol: