WHAT COULD IT BE.......

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Kiya »

I haven't a camera at the moment & none to pleased about it :(

When I put the camera on it shows " no card "

I've tried 3 different cards & all show the same, I have cleaned them & formatted each one & given the card slot a good blow out but, still nothing.

Help :?:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Horus »

Oh dear, if you have tried different cards you may have a problem.
Just to be clear, if it says "no card" how are you formatting them if the camera does not see the card? are you formatting them in your PC?
Also can you go into your camera menu and make it read the cameras 'Internal' memory? Most cameras have this internal memory built in so that you can use them straight away without a memory card. It is usually very limited and will only take maybe 3 or 4 images at best before filling up, but it may just point towards where your problem lies.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes I formatted the cards on PC.

I've searched all through camera menu & cant find internal memory.

I guess it's a visit to Jessops, already phoned them & they send camera to repair which the procedure takes anything up to a month. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya that is the problem :( Never format a camera card on your PC it is a different Format :o
Here is what you can try:
Put the card back into your Camera and switch it on.
Go to your cameras menu and find the 'Format' option
Click on the Format option and it usually comes up with a message something like "All images/information will be lost/deleted, is this what you want to do?"
Just select yes and continue
With any luck the card will be formatted to your camera and should now work.

PS what is the make and name of your camera so I can look something up for you. :up
PPS, hang on with sending your camera just yet, it may just be the card at fault.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I've tried to format the 3 cards & get no further than the screen showing " NO CARD "

The make is Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

What happens if you put the card in and then select "Reformat Memory Card" from the Settings menu?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In some instances, your camera or card itself may malfunction. To test whether the camera has malfunctioned, insert the memory card into your computers memory card slot and open it up as another drive by clicking on My Computer and then selecting the memory card from the list and clicking on it to open it. If you're able to view an empty folder, try dragging an image from your PC into the folder using 'drag and drop'. Close it down again and then re-open it and see if you can see the image file that you just added, if you can see it, then click on it and see if it opens up on your PC. If it opens up then the card would appear to be OK and the problem may be with the camera.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Something else to try, it would appear that your camera has no internal memory (like many SLR's) but it does have a buffer that helps with the memory when saving images. This means by the way that it should be able to take an image even when no memory card is in the camera, but of course it cannot save that image it just stores it in the buffer. It may help with elimination if you try taking a picture without the card in and see if it shows briefly in the preview window, but I reiterate, it will not be saved so don't go looking for the image later.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm probably not the best to comment cause I can't ever seem to fix anything but (my only thought) is that on my Nikon I have, under one of the menus, to reset everything back to original factory settings. If your camera has the same and if you can do this would it reset everything back to square 1?

Best of luck with getting this fix! I hated it when I broke my best lens and had to do without for a few months 'til I could get another one.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

First of all... I cant see anything like " Re-format memory card " in my Menu's

I opened the card in my computer & have " DCIM " & MISC both empty so drag & drop a photo then closed it down took the card out of computer then inserted again & opened the photo again.

I took another photo & drag & dropped it into DCIM & 1 into Misc took the card out & inserted into computer again & all photos that I dragged & dropped opened......so no problems with card in computer.

I tried taking a photo with " no card ".....no photo taken it just shows " No Card " but when I went to menu & " Shoot w/o card " set to " On " it took photo whether card was in & out but as you say it is not saved.

It's a mystery to me :?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The memory card does seem to be OK and it is doing what it should do without the memory card in the slot. I forgot to mention that you may need to change that option to 'On' for it to work, just remember to change it back to off again or you may think you are saving pictures when you are not after it gets fixed again. I am still a bit mystified as to why you cannot find a 'Format' option in your camera menus? card format options are usually located in the camera's Settings menu, have a check in your manual if you have one, failing that it looks like you may need to take it to Jessops, but run through the checks we have already done as it may give them a pointer as to what the problem is.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I have the " Format card " in settings but I thought you meant I should be looking for " Re-Format card " in setting which the camera hasn't .

When I go to " Format card " it wont let me, just showing No Card.

I went to one of the local shops this morning but they're as mystified as I am.

So I reckon it's a visit to Jessops next week :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

From what you are describing I would say the problem is with your camera not reading the memory card and we have proved that the card is OK when you use it in your PC. I have one last question to ask, when you are trying to Format the card, do you do it with the camera in your hands and not connected in any way to your PC? or do you have to have your camera connected to your PC by using a USB lead in order to format the card?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hand held only, should I try connecting to my computer ?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You can try Kiya, but I think it will only confirm that your camera itself cannot read the memory card. I was hoping for a long shot and if you were using a USB lead to connect your camera then it may have been just a faulty lead and not the camera. It's always worth a try though so plug in the USB lead into your camera and the PC, make sure that you have a memory card in the camera and only then switch on your camera. The PC should now pick up the camera as another drive or open up some software for the camera if you had it installed, either way you should be able to tell your PC to view the files on the memory card. Go to My Computer, look at the various drive options available C: D: E: etc depending what is plugged in, but usually the last letter is often the camera memory card, so double click on it and see if it opens anything. However I suspect it is a faulty camera or card slot and if it is then you will not be able to access the card as it probably wont even show up in My Computer as another drive anyway. :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Your right again Horus...............nothing to show :(

The camera icon did show when I opened My Computer but no such luck for me, looks like I'll be visiting Jessops to send it off for repair......that is depending how much it will cost & if it's worth it.

Don't know how many times I've went to get my camera forgetting for the mo it's broken :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best of luck Kiya getting your camera fixed. Hopefully it will be an easy, fast and cheap (or FREE) fix.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Bad luck Kiya :( They should be able to give you an estimate for fixing it, it will be a common enough fault that they see every day, most cameras are prone to certain faults and I bet they know what it is straight away. Also some manufacturers will do a 'service' and fix any faults they find for a fixed fee, so they check everything over and replace any iffy parts, its worth you asking about. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I will check it out with Jessops about doing a service with camera , sounds a good idea while they're at it fixing the card slot.......if possible ;) :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

That's my camera left at Jessops today with a charge of £25 for them packing & insuring it to send to the nearest Canon store somewhere over the border ;)

Wont hear from Canon for 2-3 weeks & depending if it's worth fixing will reduce the bill by £25 .......if I say no I get camera back but, not the £25...............cheek !!