WHAT COULD IT BE.......

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: WHAT COULD IT BE.......

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I wasn't going to copy photos to card , that was just a last minute useless thought of mine just to get some use out of the card.

Would you believe it :!: .......why didn't I think of it.........your method works perfectly Grandad when using the SDHC 8GB card & connecting to computer / Elements 11 with my camera cable to USB in computer.

I tried in all 3 USB in my computer & all work perfectly :) :) :) .....I just cant understand why it doesn't work taken the card out of camera & putting that into slot in computer , yet! the SD 2GB works both ways.......strange :?

My only thought now is when taking photos in Rome with the SDHC card nothing goes wrong when I'm back home :(

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

For peace of mind Kiya take a few pics on each card then download them to your computer using the camera to computer cable. If they both work OK you should have no probs. If your 2gb card is tried and trusted why not use that and take the 8gb as a backup. As Horus told you, you will get around 300 high def images on the 2gb card and that sounds like enough for a week but you have your 8gb as a backup IF you run out of memory.
You can of course do some deleting of rubbish during the week to save space but that should be done with great care because it is TOO EASY to accidentally select DELETE ALL. Much better to bring them home, download the lot to your computer and then do the sort and delete job BEFORE you reformat the card.

The bottom line would seem to be that you have a problem with your card reader. :o
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've come close a couple times going to quickly trying to delete and came up with the "delete all" and it has been a near miss - AGH!!! I've never yet deleted all by mistake but ???

I try to download often as it is super easy to hit that delete all button.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad.......Do you always format your card after each time you download your photos from camera to computer :?: or is that really necessary :?:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

No I don't Kiya. I always download to my computer (via the camera to computer USB cable) every time I have a few or many pictures. After downloading i check them through on screen and if there are no problems I clear the card in the camera with the 'Delete All' option.
Horus has suggested in the past that we format after each download. I don't entirely agree that this is necessary. Perhaps a format before a special trip like yours would be wise to ensure that the card is clean of any possible bits of data the MIGHT corrupt some images. Nevertheless, after formatting I think it is still best to take a couple of pics and download them just to make sure all is well.

That might all sound a bit unnecessary but I am a bit of a 'belt and braces' bloke and there is no second chance with important pics.....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I'm more or less the same...I don't format after each download but do delete once I have them downloaded to computer.

Will keep a close eye on it & hopefully all will be well on holiday :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Did you manage to book the extra two seats on your flight for Horus and me? ;) :lol:
We are looking forward to a detailed account and pictures of your trip so we are all 'Watching This Space' :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh I can maybe just squeeze you both in ;) :)

Counting down the days now...31 to go......

I think I said already some of the places we are booked for & now have a day trip to Pompei, that's an early start for a train journey, I didn't realise it was 150 kms approx from Rome - Naples - Pompei, that said once you reach Pompei Scavi station the archaeologist site/museums etc etc are just across the road from the station so we have all day at our leisure ........excited !!!!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh I can maybe just squeeze you both in ;) :)

Counting down the days now...31 to go......

I think I said already some of the places we are booked for & now have a day trip to Pompei, that's an early start for a train journey, I didn't realise it was 150 kms approx from Rome - Naples - Pompei, that said once you reach Pompei Scavi station the archaeologist site/museums etc etc are just across the road from the station so we have all day at our leisure ........excited !!!!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

You're going to have a fabulous holiday Kiya!! :) :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It does seem from the sound of things that your card reader may be faulty if it works OK with your USB lead to camera option. The reason for using the card in the card reader is two fold, first of all it is faster than USB especially with video files and secondly it saves your camera batteries which may be a problem in some cases. As to the formatting of memory cards it is entirely up to you, but just deleting images will only free up space on the card and therefore can slow up ‘save’ times between shots. Think of it this way, if you delete two 8MB images you have freed up 16 MB of space on the card, if you then took a 20 MB image it will have to use up the ‘freed’ 16 MB and then have to find another 4 MB somewhere else on the card to store the rest, this problem becomes exaggerated the more times you delete images from your memory card the greater this allocation of free space becomes. However do not assume that it will be a serious problem to you, it wont, although if you use video the problem can be exacerbated. Formatting a memory card will completely clean the data and each image will occupy the space next to the last image and so less prone to errors rather than have the data scattered all over the card which will be the case with constant deletions. As I have said to you all before, I only offer you the advice as I see it with hopefully enough information for you to decide what you prefer to do yourselves, I prefer to do a full format after several outings with my camera, but I don’t do it every time I use it, It all depends upon how many images I may have taken or deleted or if I have used my video option. :up

Kiya it looks like you have everything sorted now so fingers crossed that everything goes to plan, it should be a great holiday. :wi Even the train ride to Pompeii should be an adventure in itself, I have the travel brochures out as we speak. :P
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus thanks for the info on " formatting " card, I haven't formatted card on each time I've used the camera but it may be a good idea to do it more often than I did :) :)

It's an early start catching a train at 7.25 am from Rome - Naples - Pompei taking 2 hours & still getting us at Pompei for 9.30 am aprox giving us most of the day to visit until our return train at 6.30 pm.

The reason I chose the longer time train is that it is the scenic route as for the "fast speed " trains taking 70 mins for the same journey & speeds up to 300 kms your zooooooooming by seeing nothing :o
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like a well planned day to me Kiya :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Are you planning to meet up with us??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would have loved to have joined you Kiya, but alas I let my passport lapse, :( another one on my "to do" list.