Cleaning out the temp folder

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Cleaning out the temp folder

Post by Grandad »

I have a little weekly clean up routine by which I clean out the registry, scan for any 'nasties', empty my 'temp' folder and 'back up' to an external hard drive.
I am finding an increasing number of folders in the 'temp' folder that I cannot remove and get a message 'Cannot delete 'folder', access is denied. Here is a screen capture:-
3927Ignore Picasa3, that appeared while I was doing this and I have deleted it.

Not knowing what these folders contain I tend to get a bit uncomfortable that they may be 'up to no good' :tk

I am looking for any clues as to what they might be. I am looking at Horus for any suggestions but if anyone can explain them I would be grateful. Normally I can remove everything but these have been around for several weeks now and resist being deleted??? As temp files I don't understand why they are needed???

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Cleaning out the temp folder

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmm - suspicious but I haven't a clue :ni: :ni:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The Temp folder is the place where information used by programs is kept until the information is no longer necessary. For instance, when a program is installed, information is created in the temp folder to help with the installation. Once the installation is complete, the information in the temp folder is deleted when the computer gets restarted. Sometimes the programs that create information in the temp folder don't delete it, which allows bits and pieces of files to pile up and take up space.

You can try this if you are using XP

Click on "Start" and select "My Computer."

Click on the hard drive, which is normally the "(C:)" drive.

Click on the "Windows" system folder.

Click on the "Temp" folder to open it and view the files.

Click on "View" on the toolbar at the top of the screen and modify the items so that the details are shown (click on "Details")

Now sort them in order by using the date on which the most recent files were created (click on "Date Modified").

Select all files that were created after the last time you shut down your computer and drag them to the Recycle Bin.

Right-click on the Recycle Bin and click on "Empty Recycle Bin" to delete the files from the Temp folder.

Alternatively try deleting all the files in each of the folders and then deleting the folder itself.
You may also find that starting up in 'Safe' mode and then deleting these folders also works, problems in deleting folders usually means a program is actually using those files and they may or may not be malicious, hard to say off hand.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that step by step guide H :up

Can I just clarify a point before I do anything. In one of your lines you say "Select all files that were created after the last time you shut down your computer and drag them to the Recycle Bin."

Should that 'after' be 'before'?

On another point, I access the temp folder via Start > Run > %temp% . This opens a completely different folder to the one that I find using your route. Are there more than one 'temp' folders?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The after bit usually shows you which files are being activated over and over again by some program. As to the Temp folder, it should be the same one, but knowing the vagueries of Windows it is anyones guess what it may create, best advice is that if its in a TEMP folder of any description then its of no use and can be deleted and unlikely to cause any problems. You can also try renaming folders that won't delete and then try deleting them again, but usually starting up in some sort of SAFE mode usually allows you to get rid of stuff because it has not had chance to activate the program it is linked to because that is usually when you get the can't delete or remove notice pop up.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I foolishly downloaded The Weather Channel.com --- I was just calling it up, its a very interesting channel, lots of photos and info. BUT now I cant get rid of it. I have deleted and all components. I thought I did. Turn on my comp, up it comes full screen telling it is in difficulty. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR , wont be dragged into the bin, have to wait and click the x - - - then I can start my mail or whatever. As for the temp, I drag each one into the bin as I know they are not mine.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jay, have you been into Start > Control Panel > Add and Delete programs, (if you are on Wndows) and look for your weather program in the list that will appear. Just click it and you will have the option to remove which may open an uninstall window or just remove it.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay, the problem with just deleting things is that often it does not remove the program entirely and so it still tries to start up and then it cannot find some files or folders and thus shows the error messages you are getting. You should always remove the unwanted program via the Control Panel as Grandad has said to you, that way the PC will remove all the relevant files and folders. What may happen now though is that because some files are missing it may not be able to run the official 'uninstall' program files that all decent software should have built into the downloaded files. :( , but try that way first it may just get rid of it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your response and further suggestions earlier this morning Horus. I was able to completely empty the Temp folder via your route. However, I then started in 'safe' mode and opened 'the other temp folder' via %temp% and although I could remove all the simple files I could not open or delete any of the folders, even when I renamed them. Kept getting the access denied message. :(

But not to worry, since I started my computer on Monday morning it is taking an age, (and I mean an age like 30 minutes) to fully boot up. I have tried all the usual fixes but to no avail....I am on the verge of reinstalling to factory settings, AGAIN! When it does finally fully start everything works fine but :(

Please don't all shout "YOU NEED A NEW COMPUTER" which is probably true. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Is it not easier to just go back to a 'Restore Point' prior to when your problems started, say about a month ago? that way any crap you may have picked up or error deleting some files will be ignored as if they had not happened and you will only lose anything new you added since that date (program wise)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Restoring to an earlier date is my second 'fix' Horus after a virus scan. BUT, when I closed down last evening the auto update told me there were 11 updates being downloaded. Although they didn't have any effect on the problem I DID get a message when I started up this morning via Microsoft error reporting telling me that an error had been found in .net frame Application E (whatever that means) and asking me for permission for it to be automatically reported and corrected. I agreed.

I know we often get these kind of messages with the option to send an error report but this was very different in that it included a lot of detail, file size, upload time etc so I will wait and see.

The interesting thing is that once the computer has fully started up everything is as normal :?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad,.NET is an integral part of many applications running on Windows and provides common functionality for those applications to run.