Texas Church Shooting

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Texas Church Shooting

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Getting "Breaking News" whereby there seems to be a mass shooting in a church in Texas with witnesses saying there were/are as many as 20 shots fired.

Not sounding good at all

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Texas Church Shooting

Post by Horus »

Nothing breaking here yet :o
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just seen this:
(Reuters) - A gunman entered a church in a small town in southeast Texas on Sunday and began firing, resulting in "multiple" fatalities and injuries, local media reported, citing the county sheriff.

Police were at the scene of the shooting in Sutherland Springs, about 40 miles (65 km) east of San Antonio, the Wilson County Texas Sheriff's Office told Reuters without providing further information about the shooting.

Sheriff Joe Tackitt told the Wilson County News that there have been multiple injuries and fatalities at the First Baptist Church. It was not immediately clear how many people were killed or wounded.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was out and am now home and while the Texas shooting info is all over the news they're not saying too much i.e. The church was Baptist so being in Texas was that a black Baptist or white Baptist congregation? Was the shooter yelling anything?

I'm hearing 28 dead and 24 injured and the shooter himself is dead after a short chase.

Lots of guns in Texas and pretty easy to obtain one (although after my years in the USA I'd be willing to say it is relatively easy to get a gun anywhere in the USA if you really wanted one. I saw them for sale at Garage Sales!) so while the initial reporter said they heard about 20 shots it is hard to say if the gun was a rapid fire how many shots there actually were.

Another senseless tragedy.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Terrorist .He had proudly displayed his guns on mass media. Is there no end to it? A little boy shot 4 times, but amazingly still survived. I admit it makes me cry every time I read a report of mass killing, I feel so helpless. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sad sick people all of them. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems, from the News here, this man has family issues with his ex-mother in law and historical abuse of his ex (?) wife and child(ren). He also has a dishonourable discharge from the military which SHOULD have disqualified this man from owning any weapons particularly the gun he used (civilian equivalent of a military AK47 or whatever) nor did he even have a licence to carry so HOW did he even manage to acquire the gun he had.

Totally heinous cowardly act and given this man's mental health issues there is no way he should have been able to acquire and own a gun.

The entire issue of gun control in the USA seems an impossible issue to solve.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It will always be impossible because permission to carry arms is written in the constitution, and America is a democracy.

One of the weak points of democracy obviously.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is within their Constitution and having lived there lots of people own guns the same way they own a coffee pot. They're something that has always been around and part of their lives. IMO most are quite responsible about owning them but they are everywhere. I've seen them offered for sale at garage sales.

I guess I kinda understand the mentality of needing them against all the others who have them. A burglary here isn't going to be violent as nobody has guns but there ........ probably is going to be violent as the bad guys are going to come in armed so do you have a gun to protect yourself? Have no gun and risk being shot to death? Or? It is truly a vicious circle.

I do have a really strong opinion that nobody needs these rapid fire military style assault weapons. NOBODY outside the military needs one of those at all ever. Same with the Las Vegas Shooter having a bump stop. It is a modification, there are no laws against it but no way should anybody have or need to have one of those.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Here in the UK you wouldn't get away with pleading self defence if you shot a burglar! We are allowed to use 'reasonable force' as a deterrent but not a weapon. :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was taught to shoot and look after guns when I was very small - later a member of the rifle club. As the years went by I came to view them as an anachronism in this day and age.

Nobody needs to have a gun unless it is to kill animals for food, questionable in the western world which is full of supermarkets ..... or you intend to badly injure or kill someone.

Having a gun is not a defence. Using a gun might be, but as RR points out the Law may take a different view.

I wouldn't carry a firearm unless I intended to use it - so I will not carry one.