One for LLL

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

One for LLL

Post by Horus »

I see on the news this morning that with Donald Trumps warning on rounding up illegal immigrants, that many are trying to flee into Canada in quite large numbers, so maybe moving the problem further North?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: One for LLL

Post by Grandad »

Perhaps Mr Trudeau will also build a wall :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

And expect Mr Trump to finance it. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There are apparently 'lots' fleeing the USA "in fear for their lives" and walking through sub-zero temperatures and snow across the DITCH that separates our Border on the Prairies. One lone State Trooper in the USA is trying to stop them but our RCMP are welcoming, offering hot coffee and taking them for processing to become Canadians.

Apparently 'lots' are walking into Canada crossing the Border in the remote rural areas.

The TV News I saw highlighted one man from Somalia and a family of 4 (or maybe 5) from Sudan. The one Somali walked in probably minus 30 degrees through the snow and walked across the ditch while the family from Sudan actually took a taxi to this area, paid the driver $200 fare and then rain across from the USA into Canada. They all told the TV News guy that they are 'in fear for their lives' if they stay in the USA and therefore MUST escape to Canada.

From what I gathered there was no paperwork, no identification, zip/zilth/nada BUT we (stupid people that we are) RESCUED them from the evils of the USA!!!

Course right now WE are also attempting to pass "Anti Islamophobia" laws so that NONE OF US can say one word against Islam while the Muslim communities back east are mounting petitions against us walking our dogs as apparently walking dogs in public like on city streets and parks is offensive to them! This petition follows all the petitions re: having hotdogs and all pork products removed from our schools - that is apparently offensive and even our Catholic Schools are offending them greatly because of all the crosses that are hung about........guess I'm basically saying we have lots of very demanding people with lots of needs and wants and our PM is more than OK with pandering to all of them.

World is going to hell in a handbasket FAST.

Found this article on the WEB: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... ees-canada
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I just don't understand how some people think. Muslims are advised not to eat pork. I repeat advised and if you are literally starving eat anything! There is nothing in the original Holy books of Islam that mentions handling pork. I believe that pigs had and in some places still have an important function in the working of the universe. I had a lot of free range pigs, I love pigs, but I wouldn't eat one. No problem.

Tradition has it that the mouth of the dog is unclean and if you get dog spit on you your prayers won't get heard for a month. Keep a dog in the house and Angels will not enter :ni: Funnily enough where this tradition is followed are areas where rabies is common. How can it affect your prayers?

Maybe some traditions have their basis in health concerns? Tradition and religion are not necessarily the same and often get mixed to the detriment of any religion.

All this nit picking nowadays seems to be trying to reinforce a difference between people rather than celebrating what we have in common.

When my non religious English friend married in her little village church there were 17 Muslims in the congregation, who saw nothing wrong with being there - nor going to the wedding breakfast where their Ramadan Iftar was waiting when the sun set. We were a mix of Muslims, Catholics and Protestants and the bride and groom were none of the above and a good time was had by one and all. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To me it is the adherents of stupid things like dog spit being ungodly that make me shake my head in disbelief, not just with Islam, but of all daft religious practices, although Islam does seem to have a few more than most. How on earth can anyone relate an omnipotent god with such garbage as him not hearing your prayer if you have been licked by a dog, personally I would much prefer to be licked by my dog any day of the week than to believe such rubbish. At least my dog would be showing love and affection, unlike this very picky and childish god who has a sulk because a dog licked you, the stupidity of the human race in believing this garbage never ceases to amaze me, its like believing in Santa Claus, “if you are naughty then Santa won’t bring you any presents”. 8)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Personally I don't like being licked on my face or hands by anyone or anything ;) Actually cows are the worst, they not only slobber they take your skin off with their rough tongue.

I wouldn't be keen on any dog without rabies vaccination either licking me or living in the house in Egypt where rabies is endemic.

Cats also carry rabies, but cats are very popular in Egypt and I have often heard people justify feeding their cats tidbits at the table by saying "Nine pieces for me and one for him."

Tradition rules in the name of religion again.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree about the rabies, it was endemic in Central Africa and my dogs were always vaccinated, the old treament out there for any human being with rabies was to tie them up to a tree until they died :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems all the Muslims coming to Canada are vetted for being the most demanding of all and the list is long.

I kinda think they're demanding as 'we' are accommodating and what probably started out as easy peasy demands were immediately met with kindness and have now mushroomed into ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

The Muslim petition to stop Canadian dog walking is now being met with organizers who are organizing to walk dogs en masse in front of mosques. It seems a silly 'tit for tat' exercise but that is how this particular one is being combated and if 'we' as Canadians are going to be prosecuted for speaking against anything Islamic it is going to drive issues underground and make them lots worse.

I live in a country of new Immigrants from ALL countries and daily you hear accents. We have huge Indian communitites, huge Asian communities, huge Native American communities plus lots from Europe and they're all FREE to do whatever they want and NONE have made demands of the rest of us to change our way of life so it is pretty hard to wrap your mind around WHY newly arrived people who are Muslim feel they can make the DEMANDS they're making.

You can find "Halal" in all our grocery stores now. Mosques are popping up here and there and if you want to wear hijab I highly doubt anybody would look twice at you BUT if your kid is going to go to public school here they're going to have to learn to identify pork as it IS served. IF you don't want your kid exposed to that then put them in a private school, pay yourself and then feel free to dictate what you perceive as a NEED.

And - In my own opinion IF you are ILLEGALLY in a country you are a criminal. You've broken the law and are therefore subject to whatever punishments the country deems appropriate to your case. I see nothing much wrong with what Trump is doing. If you've entered a country illegally and stayed beyond your visa you're in the country illegally. Broke the law so subject to deportation.

When Egypt was lax and allowed all the Expats in to stay ad nauseum without proper visas was Egypt really doing them any favours? If the rules were clearly stated up front with known guidelines it definitely would have been much easier for the ExPats vs being summarily deported when the wind changed.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

When Egypt was lax and allowed all the Expats in to stay ad nauseum without proper visas was Egypt really doing them any favours? If the rules were clearly stated up front with known guidelines it definitely would have been much easier for the ExPats vs being summarily deported when the wind changed.
I don't think that statement is correct LLL. To the best of my knowledge Egypt is VERY strict on residence visas. We have heard stories on L4U of expats whose visas have expired or nearly expired and the problems they have in renewing them even if they have lived in the country for many years.

But to return to the main topic. I have absolutely no problem with other people from around the world living in my country. I think their culture and diverse customs add to our multi cultural society. But like you, I draw the line when they try to impose their customs or religion on society at large. How dare they? Practice their customs in their homes or places of worship BUT accept that you have no right to impose your customs on the rest of the community. If you don't like it, go back whence you came...
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have to agree with a lot of what you are saying LLL, it certainly irks me when minority groups of any persuasion that come to live here start demanding that we accommodate their customs and religions rather than that they assimilate into ours. Not wanting to participate is one thing, but demanding that we change to suit them is another, it was those sort of things that have contributed to a Brexit backlash regarding immigration. We have areas of the UK that have almost become no go areas because we native born British are looked on as being unwelcome in these mainly Muslim immigrant areas, often by second and third generations who have totally failed to assimilate. I also agree with you regarding people who overstay or are illegally in another country, they are breaking the law and should be deported, we cannot just keep accepting as normal the desire for people from other cultures to just come and live here or elsewhere because they choose to do so. Very often instead of sorting out their own countries problems and working to improve their lot, the object seems to be to go to another country and then demand that it becomes a mirror of the one you left behind and often that means the customs and religious beliefs of the native population are the ones that are expected to adapt. Our own country is now so full of mosques that it looks more Middle Eastern than the Middle East does, but where are all the equivalent churches and Christian tolerance in Islamic countries? Egypt for example cannot be held up as a paragon of religious freedom as neither can Saudi Arabia or most other Arab countries, it seems to be a one sided progression. Regarding the Pork issue, we recently had objections from Religious groups and vegetarians about the fact that our new long lasting £5 notes were manufactured using tallow as this contained animal fats, happily the Bank of England has rejected this and even said that the new £10 note with be manufactured in the same manner, so good for them as its about time someone started calling a halt to this steadily creeping ‘demand’ culture from certain groups. Finally I agree about Egypt and visas, where else would someone on holiday just take it as normal to overstay on a tourist visa and then just keep renewing it and then live permanently in that country like a native and expect that to continue. It makes me smile when I keep seeing all the moaning and groaning about the hoops they have to jump through and the rising costs of a visa, as if they have some god given right to just set up home and live there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Don't disagree with anything you've said H.

Part of the 'problem' we are having in Canada is that we presently have a Prime Minister who got elected in part because the previous PM had be 'in' a long long time, wasn't charismatic in the least, really held a tight grip on everything and the have nots in Canada have emulated the Obama philosophy of giving away everything to select non-mainstream groups BUT we did weather the crash of 2008 really well under Harper (former PM) economic restraint and we had a SURPLUS of $$ available to us.

Now that we have Junior Trudeau son to Pierre who was a popular PM about 40 yrs ago he has in less than 1 year GIVEN AWAY our entire surplus of funds and put us into so much debt my Grandkids will be early 40ies before it is paid off (given he stops giving away $$ now). Trudeau has NEVER held a permanent job in his life although was a part time drama teacher. He LOVES to play dress up and walk in Gay Pride Parades, he LOVES to be seen as rescuing refugees which re: refugees is all well and good BUT what type of life is he consigning them to in Canada?

Cold, remote small villages, nothing set up and ready for them, an economy that is starting to tank as while he has given away MEGA millions to small African countries as they need to have WORK for their young adults he has not YET created 1 job in Canada. Our people on welfare get $610 per month total (with no programs for them to get off welfare) while the new refugees are given around 4 times that amount for their first year here THEN they get "welfare"!!! Getting that much welfare given our housing crisis means you MUST share as there is no way you can live on your own IF you can find a person to rent to you.

There was no planning when he opted to bring in 35,000 people and he keeps saying Canadian are telling him to bring in more yet I've never read so much as 1 newspaper article or watched 1 tv news media program that says 'we' should rescue MORE.

StatsCan (Statistics Canada) just published that Canadians pay 42% of all earning back to the gov't in Tax. I know that personally I pay approximately 56% and am expected to pay more and more and more.

Conversely Trump has already met (not that THIS was covered very much on TV) with King Sulman and others. He has had a meeting with middle east leaders asking them to set up 'safe zones' in their countries so that refugees should be housed there until the war/conflict/flight/whatever is settled. Then when the conflict does end the refugees go home and re-build. ALL the leaders in the Middle East agreed to this plan. Granted this wasn't covered in the news all that was covered was that Trump wants to export everybody which is blatantly not true. I've HEARD the speeches and while he IS talking about ILLEGALS (which he is criticized for saying as apparently using the world ILLEGAL is denying an ILLEGAL their basic human rights!) being deported he is totally FINE with anybody with a LEGAL right to be in the USA being IN the USA!

I actually think on the day he announced his new restrictions there were Democratic obstructionists in place who 'misinterpreted' what he said and created the issue...............can go on and on but "I" for one am fed up to the teeth with having to rescue the world, be expected to totally bend to any whim or want of a newbie all the while totally denying my own culture as having any importance to me.

@ Grandad - I was referring to times gone by when many arrived in Egypt and just lived on tourist visas permanently. It has only been in the past few years that Egypt has become much stricter re: visas but there was a time when any tourist going there could have stayed forever without ever being officially made legal.