Article 50 petition

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Article 50 petition

Post by Horus »

I see there is now an online petition for the government to enact article 50 immediately, I wonder how many signitures it will get? There is also a very good interactive map on the site showing the current support for the petition by each area within the UK.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/133618

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Article 50 petition

Post by Grandad »

Very interesting map Horus with, so far, the greatest level of interest in the south.

I don't really see how article 50 can be invoked until at least some outline proposals have been drawn up by the negatiating team. At the present time we don't even have a negotiating team and unlikely to have one until after the Tory leadership election.

I will not be signing the petition. It does look though that it will soon reach the 100,00 figure to force the Government to consider a debate.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes that's the problem for many people Grandad and I feel that Cameron has seriously let the nation down. Whatever the minutii are of this vote and whatever rights or wrongs the bottom line was that the people voted by a majority to leave. When he instigated the referendum he himself said that he would impliment article 50 the very next day should the result go against his wishes, so not to have done so will be seen by many as just another of the threats that the reamain camp are accused of using to sway the vote. It is entirely his fault in renaging on that promise/threat that has caused the delay and him resigning has created the need to hold leadership elections. I think that many people who voted to leave are becoming deeply suspicious of his motives and want to see the article implimented immediately to stop any renaging on the referendum result. Having said that it is also vital that a decent team is put together to negotiate and that seems sadly lacking at the moment, what is certain is that this government was totally unprepared for such a vote and seems to have had no contingency plans whatsoever for such an eventuality which to me smacks of either complacency or as many are saying they were totally out of touch with the electorate and that goes for all parties. I don't know about you Grandad, but I can only name one person that I spoke in my area that expressed a desire to remain everyone else was saying they wanted to leave, so how they could have got it so wrong is beyond me.
Also as it would seem fairly certain that Teresa May (a remainer) is likely to become the new leader then that begs the question of why Cameron resigned in the first place as his experience would have been the better option to head up negotiations.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

With the result of the first vote to elect a new Tory leader now in, I would expect many of Liam Fox's supporters to switch to Andrea Leadsom. It still looks like two ladies will be the final pair for the members to decide between.

But tomorrow all this Brexit and Tory leadership stuff will take second place to the publication of The Chilcott Report. Some sparks will fly.......hopefully.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

There was an interesting program on TV the other night investigating Tony BLiars wealth, that man has made an absolute fortune out of being in office, I hope he is held to account for the way he misled the country.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:There was an interesting program on TV the other night investigating Tony BLiars wealth, that man has made an absolute fortune out of being in office, I hope he is held to account for the way he misled the country.
Send him to The Hague to face charges of crimes against humanity. (Our servicemen and the Iraqi people.) But that can never happen to Teflon Tony :xx