The Olympics

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

The Olympics

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is minimal to no news here about the Olympics. I remember in years gone by soon as we'd turn the year (i.e. January of whatever year) we were bombarded with ongoing and non-stop Olympic adverts and all the different sport venues were highlighted and showcased. Lots of discussion about different athletes and who was going to be going etc.

The last few Olympics seemed to bring out the PC Police for this, that and every reason and the Olympics were boycotted or snubbed etc.

Are you hearing any news of the Olympics there? Are they being looked on favourably? Boycotted? Are your athletes training to go? Or?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Olympics

Post by Grandad »

Much the same here LLL, very little mention considering there is only about 60 days to the opening. In most sports the athletes are still competing for qualification so we will not know the final Team GB for a few weeks.

There seems to have been more news about concerns with regards to the Zika virus with so many thousands arriving in Rio from around the world. Obviously there was a lot of publicity and excitement at the run up to London 2012 which, in our view, was such a huge success. Very little has been broadcast about Rio 2016 though???
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Is it this year? Goes to show how much interest there is in my house! :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I remember years back and the Olympics were HUGE! Everybody was excited to see them, the athletes were idolized and it was a big active world event. Now there is very little being said about it here. The most I've seen is a TV News clip about there being lots of pollution and garbage in the water around Rio.

I have no idea if we have any athletes going - presumably we have lots but I don't know the name of one of them nor do I know the name(s) of any super stars coming out of the USA (unlike years ago when different athletes were really featured).

I don't know if all the issues with chemical enhancement or doping has slowly put the brakes on the Olympics or if politics is rearing its ugly head. Even years ago if a country boycotted the Olympics it was big news. Now it hardly gets a shrug.

I do believe the Olympics are really important to the various athletes who by and large give their lives to training and it is a shame that their efforts are not acknowledged more.

The Olympics are real soon and there is more concern re: Zika than anything else.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Is it this year? Goes to show how much interest there is in my house! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: What cloud are you on RS ;)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Well I must be on the same one, not a mention on our TV . . . :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

European Gymnastics Championships are on right now. So, for that sport, the representatives for Team GB will be finalised there.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The referendum is headlining the news right now. Perhaps the olympics will come to the fore after June 23.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Hey Grandad, did you get your leaflet telling you how to vote ?? Made me laugh to think the brits are so sadly uneducated - . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jayway wrote:Hey Grandad, did you get your leaflet telling you how to vote ?? Made me laugh to think the brits are so sadly uneducated - . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes Jay, about 6 pages telling us how to put a cross in a box. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just back from the USA and watching their TV exclusively and nada, zip, ziltch re: Olympics on their TV. The main stories are about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I think we can look forward (or not according to your preference) to 3 weeks of UEFA football matches in France. That will take a lot of headlines and even push the Referendum down the priority list.

As the US nominations seem to be done and dusted they will disappear from our news now until the elections later in the year. I expect the Olympics will get more media space from next month.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know there is lots of politics now surrounding the Olympics and I do enjoy watching the highlights. Don't follow any particular sport but I do like to see the top competitors in the different groups.