News today

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

News today

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our news today is being dominated by a story of a man with only a history of speeding who drank and drove. He ran into another car and killed a grandpa who was driving and all 4 grandkids. Terrible horrible tragedy. Today he admitted his guilt and was sentenced to 10 yrs less time already served (which is about 2 yrs) and can't have a drivers licence again for 12 yrs once he is released from jail.

Seems this light sentence is sparking LOTS of outrage here and this is the story dominating our TV News.

Personally IMO IF you drink sufficient alcohol that you're impaired and get into a vehicle whether you commit an offense or not you need a super strict sentence imposed on you. I don't think this light sentence is nearly sufficient, acts as no deterrent to drinking and driving (if a heavier sentence would act as a deterrent anyway). I'm absolutely NO fan of drinking/drugging and then driving.

Thoughts?

What about re: Judge who would impose this light sentence? The justification, as stated by the Man's Attorney, was that he had no prior history of drinking & driving just speeding tickets. This man also has a wife and young children but ???

What would your sentence have been?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: News today

Post by Horus »

Hard to say, but it should be severe :stp
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Double ten years and no parole.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You asked for our thoughts LLL :-

These are always difficult cases but what LLL is seeing in Canada is the emotional response by the public to the death of a grandfather and his four grandchildren in a road traffic incident. Would there have been the same public response if just one person was killed in a similar incident, I think not? And if three elderly pensioners were also killed in similar circumstances I doubt if the response would have been so strong. The point is these were children with a grandparent and that is the root of the emotion.

But to the court three such incidents require an answer to the same question. Did the driver set out to cause harm or death to other road users? That is what the court has to decide. It is most unlikely that the driver set out with that in mind, true he may have had doubts about his ability to drive but that was more likely for his own preservation if indeed he had any such thoughts.

So the verdict seems to be that he was guilty of driving while under the influence of alcohol (and drugs) but did not set out to kill or maim. So this was not murder but could be defined as manslaughter. So a ten year sentence is probably appropriate but If I was the judge I would have probably decided that the full term must be served. Without that rider, here in the Uk the culprit could be released after 4 or 5 years.

As for the driving ban, I think there are times when a ban for life is appropriate and this would be one of them, IMO.
:gg:
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Im afraid my attitude is that the minute you get in a car knowing you are over the limit, you are already guilty and should be classed as murder if you kill someone, regardless of their age.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I didn't know it at the time I posted this but this driver is the Grandson of one of Canada's BILLIONAIRES. He'd just returned from a trip somewhere and was still in celebratory more. This matter happened in another Province two years ago so I didn't really know about it or hear about it 'til the sentencing and I think it was the public outcry that brought it to national news level.

Now that the aspect 'Grandson of a Billionaire' is thrown in I think this has added to the emotional level as there is also an attempt to make it rich against poor. The Mom of the children is just a regular person whilst the drive is seen as being in the upper echelons.

I'm with Robbo on this one. IF you take a drink and get behind the wheel it is murder if you kill somebody. It is tragic all 'round and I'd imagine with Grandpa's resources the attorney have been going at it tooth and nail.