The Library of Alexandria

Get the best advice about your holiday in Egypt.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

The Library of Alexandria

Post by Goddess »

Actually got round to organising all my photo albums a bit today!

It's quite normal to see people standing up on top of this place - they seem to be constantly cleaning the glass because it all gets filthy!

I still can't decide if I actually like the Library or not. Round the back is quite grey and nasty (But I forgot to take a picture of that!) But the front bit is quite nice and I love it when you take it from the side and see the old and the new squashed together, for me that sums up Alexandria to a 'T'

Sure I have a picture taken from the fort where you can see the Library from a distance, will have to poke around a bit more tomorrow.

For more information on the library:

http://www.bibalex.org/English/index.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Library

The Wiki has some great arial shots and more info on it's construction, and the official link has all info about the museums inside it and fees and a calendar of events.

Contained within the library complex are a Manuscript Museum, Archaeology Museum, the newly opened museum of Sadat, Planetarium and exploratorium. Concerts are held there on a frequent basis.

There's also a decent coffee shop there operated by The Hilton - service is a bit slow and people fight over the balcony seats - but a lovely place for a coffee (and ice cream!) and you don't even have to go into the library to go there!

JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Just had a look at the photo Gallery in the 1st link-it looks wonderful.
The layout inside looks fab, very light and airy and I like the idea of the open book shelves.
There looks like there are some real special pieces in the Museum.

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

What a beautiful facility. I love libraries.
"A man who has had a bull by the tail once has learned 60 or 70 times as much as a man who hasn't."
Mark Twain

redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

I visited there a couple of years ago now and really loved it's very different

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

There was a program on the TV recently that described the ancient library at Alexandria and also showed the modern one. A very interesting fact was that in antiquity any vessel arriving in the port had to hand over any books that they had on board and were not already held in the library, although how this was actually accomplished it did not say. These books were then copied and if I remember correctly it was the copy that was handed back again and not the original. In this way vast amounts of knowledge was obtained from all over the known world by copying the writings of many scholars.

Big Sister

Post by Big Sister »

Is there a charge for entering and using the libary even if you just want to look around?

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Big Sister wrote:Is there a charge for entering and using the libary even if you just want to look around?
Sad to say, but yes!

There's a basic fee of 10 LE to get in to the library, if you want to visit the manuscript museum or the archaeological museum inside the library you can either pay for each one separately at 20 Le each or get a combo ticket for entry and the two museums for 45 LE. Taking pictures in the museums costs an additional 10 LE - pictures inside the library are free.

I believe the Sadat Museum is free - but it only opened a bit back and I haven't been for a peep yet, and the Planetarium I think is 15 LE.

For more on the fees have a peep here:
http://www.bibalex.org/libraries/presen ... 15510.aspx

Note that if you do go - you aren't allowed to take a bag in - and that includes ladies handbags - there is a safe deposit area alongside the ticket office. Bizarrely, you are able to take everything out of your handbag (apart from food) and stuff it in your pockets and just leave an empty bag at the deposit area.

SoCalledEgyptologist

Post by SoCalledEgyptologist »

I think its cause they dont want you to smuggle books out! You can take a hand bag or a bum bag if its very small, ie too small to fit a book inside!

I LOVE the library!!! It might just because I love books, and after staying in Luxor for a long time its so great to go the library in Alex. I always run around taking copies of egyptology books but the queus for the copier are soooo long.

Incidentally, once you are inside you can use internet on the computers for free. You just need to get a ticket to log in :)
[flash width=200 height=50 loop=true]http://www.luxor4u.com/forum/ad_signatu ... st-sig.swf[/flash]

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Wow! Thanks for that G and SCE. The only time I visited Alex it was the day the library was closed! :x I am taking my tour group there in January, so this is all very helpful. I will get an update on prices from you closer to arrival. I love libraries too, especially when they have a museum! :P It looks a bit windy in those photos, going by the trees. I liked the wall with carvings of all the scripts known to Man.
Carpe diem! :le:

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Goddess »

Now why didn't I think of the book smuggling thing SCE?? Here was me thinking it was so people couldn't smuggle contraband in, like bombs and food!

WI - It wasn't too windy that day - but some of the palms are stuck in a permanent wind blown position because the protective covers (if they remember to put them on!) blow away mid winter and never get replaced.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

"WI - It wasn't too windy that day - but some of the palms are stuck in a permanent wind blown position because the protective covers (if they remember to put them on!) blow away mid winter and never get replaced."

Yes, now I look more closely, I see some are still and some are bending!!
Soooooooo Egypt, god bless 'em! :lol:
Carpe diem! :le:

redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

:lol::lol: