Al Azhar Park, Cairo

Get the best advice about your holiday in Egypt.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Top Member
Top Member

Al Azhar Park, Cairo

Post by Goddess »

Where to relax in Cairo

Al-Azhar Park
An oasis in the heart of historic Cairo, is built on 68 feddans (acres) of green land. To enjoy this beautiful place, you only have to pay LE5 (less than one dollar) to go in.

The park (open 10am - 12 midnight) was created by the Geneva-based Agha Khan Foundation and the work took seven years to complete from 1997 until its formal inauguration in 2004. The Park is run by the foundation in cooperation with Cairo Governorate and the governmental Supreme Council of Antiquities. It has two entrances: one on Salah Salem Street and other in Darb el-Ahmar, which is only open on feast days. Once you walk through the main gate, you come across a fountain built in the middle of a large green area divided into two parts. The first one on the right side includes an area for children's games and there are wooden and plastic swings for their use free of charge. You have to pay between LE3 and LE5 to enter the other part. Also on the right side, there is the Citadel Restaurant, built in the Fatimid Islamic style. Consisting of two floors, it overlooks Islamic Cairo and the real Citadel. The restaurant offers an open buffet and there is a minimum charge of LE95 ($17). On the second floor, you can enjoy French pastries. The restaurant also overlooks magnificent fountains and a garden with trees, plants and flowers laid out in attractive patterns. There is also a telescope at Al-Azhar Park with 360-degree panoramic views of the park and the city, in addition to two sunken gardens with two fountains built in the Andalusian style.

The visitor can also visit the restaurant and Palm Tree Oasis Café by a lake with water piped 10km from the Nile. The park, compared to New York's Central Park, was originally a rubbish dump that the Agha Khan Foundation transformed into a green lung, looking north to the Citadel, east to el-Darb el-Ahmar, west to Salah Salem St. and also Al-Mansouriya and Hussein Mosque. There is also an auditorium and halls for celebrating different occasions. The construction of the park and the restoration of cultural monuments are meant to be catalysts for social and economic development and the overall improvement of the quality of life in the district.

At the same time, the park offers a new vantage point with spectacular views of Islamic Cairo's countless architectural treasures, which will no doubt attract foreign tourists and the inhabitants of Greater Cairo alike to this once-neglected area which has become a unique area in its beauty.

Nasr City's beautiful park
Meanwhile, there is also the International Park, built on 55 feddans (acres) in Nasr City, northern Cairo that consists of a number of pavilions displaying the flags of various countries. An entrance ticket costs only LE2 (less than half a dollar) and the park was established in 1986. It comprises three plateaus, each with a pavilion for a number of countries, while there are also a number of national flags at the entrance. Each country has its own area with distinctive trees and rare plants and for long years each country supervised its area. Unfortunately, they are now under Egyptian supervision and many of the trees are suffering from neglect. In the Egyptian pavilion, the visitor can admire a small replica of the Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx, Aswan Dam and a large expanse of yellow sand, representing the Eastern Desert.In the American pavilion, there is a model of the Statue of Liberty. The manager of the park Samir Abu Zeid says that maintenance of the facilities is poor, due to lack of funds.

http://www.egyptiangazette.net.eg

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

Looks like a nice place to visit :)

Here's some photos of Al-Azhar Park

jewel

Post by jewel »

Somewhere I used to like going in Cairo was the "fish garden" on umkulthumm street in gezira ...... but sadly with no fish :( - still it is a quiet place to go and spend time - it would be lovely if it were restored. :)
Once a khedival garden, the key attraction of this park used to be the fish tanks lodged in its grottoes. Most of the fish were taken out during renovations and owing to its secluded nooks and crannies, the park has now become a favourite meeting place for courting couples. Families come here too, and children go crazy in the labyrinth of paths in and around the grottoes.
Here is a link
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/aquarium.htm

Never been to Al-Azhar but from the pics it looks quite"stylized" with an abundance of concrete and marble, and very neat plantings - I may be wrong, but the thing I did like in the fish garden was a fairly natural feel of the surroundings, and something not easy to find in Cairo though I did visit some lovely (private) gardens in maadi :)

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

the good thing about the park is the GREAT view you get of the Citadel 8)

Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Another oddball garden is the Japanese Gardens in Helwan. Lots of giant orange Buddhas everywhere! LOL

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Any pictures Glyph?

redsaffy

Post by redsaffy »

I second that I would love to see some pictures :)

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

There is an article on AA Park in the latest issue of "Ancient Egypt' magazine, and one on the Agricultural Museums.
Carpe diem! :le:

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

Some of my photos from my April 2008 trip!

CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

And the great views . . . I was trying to get so many shots of Cairo from the park!!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Can you guess that I am fascinated by The Citadel??? :lol::lol:
CATHERINE

I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . . . I went down down down and the flames went higher . . . and it burns, burns, burns . . that ring of fire, that ring of fire!

cbrbddd

Post by cbrbddd »

And one of my favorite photos from Al Azhar!!!

CATHERINE

Ebikatsu
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Ebikatsu »

bump up the Japanese Garden Helwan.

viewtopic.php?t=355&highlight=japanese+garden

Claire

Great photos

Post by Claire »

Love the Al Azhar Park photos and again they brought back memories. Thanks for posting.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

We had dinner there on our last night this October. A wonderful location, with the Citadel well lit in the distance.The food was good but not outstanding, except for the dips. The building was lovely and has given us more ideas of what we would like to build one day, insha allah. Will have to go back in the daylight next time to see it all, but it was lovely to stroll arm in arm around the gardens in the moonlight afer we'd eaten.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wonderful photos! I'm noting these parks for my next sojourn to Cairo.