Tourist Visas for Egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Egypt.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Tourist Visas for Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Visas for entry into Egypt can be obtained through the Egyptian Embassies throughout the world. These are usually valid for three months.

As an alternative, entry visas can be obtained at your port of entry. All airports and sea ports offer this facility. A visa obtained in this way costs aroud £10 sterling and lasts for one month.

If you wish to extend the visa you can do so on payment of the relevant fee and completion of the appropriate forms in the passport offices of Egypt's major cities.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Given Keefy's recent Post re: update on Visas maybe this thread should be updated......

Karenh

Post by Karenh »

When I went to renew my tourist visa (6 month one) I was told at Mugama in Cairo that i could only get a 3 month one and then I would have to leave Egypt as they were not renewing long term tourist visas. I applied and was granted however a temporary residence visa for 5 years......hopefully long enough for things to settle.
While I was in Mugama I saw two women one american and one British being refused and being told they must leave the country as they had had the maximum visa granted previously which i think now is a once only 3 month one.
This does not affect your tourist entry one for a week or two week holiday and you can still get them at the airports no problem its only if you wish to extend your visit over 30 days...
A day without laughter is a day wasted :lol: ;)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks for the update. That IS a SIGNIFICANT change. I guess times are changing, rules are tightening and the Egyptian Spring is either starting to freeze up or thaw out depending. I just hope their 'spring' brings them a bountiful productive summer once everything settles down.

Great update. Thanks!

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No doubt that once the new government is in place there will be a few surprises in store with regards to residency. Depending upon what the make up of that new government turns out to be, will determine their view of non Egyptians residing within the country. No doubt that people who have money invested and bussiness interests will be welcomed, but what status will the average expat be deemed to have? Whenever this question is raised they often reply that they spend money within the local ecconomy, but this is hardly a large contribution, otherwise most of them would not be there in the first place as it is the low cost of living that makes Egypt attractive to foreigners. A good lesson can be learned from Spain where many British people invested in property and the low cost of living, only to be walked all over by the local Spanish authorities when it came down to planning applications and new developments being passed that had huge detrimental effects on their homes. The logic of this action was that local peoples needs were of greater importance than the property or the lifestyle of expats and in truth they are. ;)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just a suggestion moderator (and please feel free to delete this post too) but maybe Keefy's original post on this topic from 2008 needs to be gone. Anybody researching Egypt and coming across this forum may NOT notice the date and it is 'out of touch' with what is going on now. I know keefy is super busy with the new formats but personally I'd rather see 'nothing' from 2008 than 'old' info that isn't valid. Just an FYI.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Maybe some info is (or maybe) out of date, but the actual entry visa information is still valid for anyone travelling to Egypt for a holiday. The bit about extending the visa while there is still correct as far as I am aware, it is only people who wish to stay on longer than one extention and keep renewing their tourist visa who may be affected by this restriction. However if you read the various reports from different people it does not seem to have any real pattern to it, some expats get the renewal without problems and others don't. :roll:

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

The information is still correct for this topic Tourist Visas for Egypt

People wanting to renew a tourist visa year after year without leaving the country is another matter and like Horus says: "it does not seem to have any real pattern to it".

Resident Visas is another ball game :roll:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Okee dokee by me - just wanted to make sure we were 'relevent'! :)

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

Hi folks, just popped over to see if it was snowing over here too! I renewed my yearly tourist visa in Luxor last month and was given a further year visa with no questions asked and no problems. (It is my 6th in a row without leaving the country.)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said Kevin, it does seem to be a mixed bag depending upon who you talk to, maybe it will all get settled once the elections are over. :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cool Kevininabydos - am thinking that things re: visas could be as H said - "a mixed bag." Good you got your visa renewed with no problemos.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Tourist Visas for Egypt

Post by Horus »

I was browsing the forum to test it out and came across this old thread. Obviously as we have heard nothing more since Kevins sudden departure from Egypt it makes his above post quite pertinent to the current visa situation, especially as he was so happy to have renewed his visa without any problems and had done so for several years prior to this. So his is a case in point and just goes to show that however confident people are about their current visa situation or anything else in Egypt, it can change overnight in the current climate.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Tourist Visas for Egypt

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Egypt is unsettled right now. I think anything can and does happen. People are stressed. Locals and tourists alike as these are unsettled and stressful time. Nothing is 'predictable' any longer and that adds to the level of tension and stress.

Has anybody had any updates from "Kevininabydos"? It don't remember his exact date of exit but has to be a month or more by now. I don't know Kevininabydos at all but at least he had the wherewithall and resources to be able to exit Egypt. I fear that this path or option isn't available to some of the ex-pats living there. This can leave them at a definite disadvantage should they opt to acknowledge the full extent of the Egyptian situation.

By "full extent" I mean that Egypt is unstable right now. Economics are down, people are desperate therefore even the most reliable and stable acquaintance or activity is possible to suddenly devolve. How steep and timely the descent is also an unknown.